water in gas - Treatment?

getchasum

MISSING 2 CYLINDERS???
What's the best treatment for water in the tank? My 08 Mailbu started running like crap today & I think it maybe bad gas.

Safest, If you can, disconnect the fuel line and pump out the tank with the cars fuel pump, but you won't completely empty the tank.

You might get by with a additive that removes the water and some new fuel filters. Big chance to take.

A friend got some bad diesel in his pickup. Cost his warranty co a few thousand to fix everything.

If you have some methanol setting around you could put a quart or so in the gas tank. Should dry the gas out some. Heet brand fuel line anti freeze would work but they probably don't sell it out your way.It' just methanol.

Drain the tank as much as you can or at least get a fuel sample and then use the heet in the red bottle. it will mix the water and fuel together instead of seperating the two. Then run some clean gas with some Chevron techron in it.

i've never seen "bad gas" in 20 years of driving. throw a fuel filter in it and see what happens.

The wife's cousin was driving through Georgia and got gas in his brand new car. The gas was half water. They had some very heavy rain there the week before and the gas station had some old tanks and water got in. I am not sure which gas company it was but they made it right and reembursed him the cost of the repairs and gave him a gas voucher.

Now to your problem. Take a sample into a clear bottle. Let it sit for a little while and the water should settle to the bottom. If you do end up pumping it out take samples every so often. The water should pump out first then only gas should remain. In the Navy we would do this with our small boats. We would occasionally get some sea water into the tank and we had a stripping pump to pump it out. Just take enough to get the water out. You don't need to empty the tank completely.

The problem I see with pumping it out with the fuel pump is the pickup isn't all the way on the bottom of the tank. You won't get all of the water.

Found the product called "Heet" I put 3 of them in the tank today. Still not back to normal, but seems like it may have helped some. Thinking of putting the 4th bottle in. :redface: Hoping for the best....

Found the product called "Heet" I put 3 of them in the tank today. Still not back to normal, but seems like it may have helped some. Thinking of putting the 4th bottle in. :redface: Hoping for the best....
Heat is mostly methanol. Why not just dump some from your Alky kit in the tank.

Well the stuff works..... The car is 99% back to normal. :D I did end up adding the forth bottle for good measure. :eek:

The problem I see with pumping it out with the fuel pump is the pickup isn't all the way on the bottom of the tank. You won't get all of the water.

the pump is very close to the bottom of the tank.. if you use the pump to empty the tank, there will be less than a gallon left in most tanks.i don't care what your gas is contaminated with, if you put 10 gallons of fresh gas into a tank that you empty with the pump it will be pretty diluted.