Wastgate and some help

kosonen04

JustA6
HEy everyone would anyone recemend putting a Adj wastgate on my 85 GN hotair its a non adj. one. It seems like im losing my boost or somthing in my high RPMS i have the comp cams 980's in there to stop the valves from floating but it still seams liike im losing boost. or im losing my fuel i have a turbotweek chip and im running about 15 PSI and that is when it seems to be backfiring at WOT full boost and im running 110 OCT gas. Anyone can help me ?

Adjust

Adj waste would help you adjust the boost. I think 15 is the stock setting.

The Stock Setting was 10 on mine i have turned it to 15 but just seems like its running out of gas.

Question

kosonen04 said:
The Stock Setting was 10 on mine i have turned it to 15 but just seems like its running out of gas.

If you have a non adjustable wategate, how are you raising boost?
I wouldn't hammer on it to much till you figure it out.

Not really the wastegate just controls the base setting.
Do you have:
upgraded fuel pump?
Aftermarket boost gauge?
You really need a way to monitor knock and fuel pressure.
Running 110 octane shouldn't see any knock.
How much 110 did you put in the tank?

i put in a half of a tank of 110 Oct. i have a Auto Meter boost gauge stock fuel pump, but i have a adj fuel pres. reg. Thank you for helping me out im trying to get this car running as good as i can with out spending to much im attending Wyotech here in Laramie so im kinda short on money but want a good runner.

Always glad to help if I can.

The way I figure it with 91 octane and 110, your prolly around 100 octane dilliuted.
More than likely the fuel pump isn't supplying enough fuel at WOT.
With an aftermarket chip fueling becomes even more critical.

This thread is composed of all clueless people - I have been their and made all the mistakes. You no have clue how to tune these cars. Keep your money in your wallet and your homework. Your best source is gttype. org -Brad

And you, Brad_Padgett, are being a prick. If you have something constructive to HELP him out, post. If not, mind your own business. ;)

ClueLess?

Squid4life said:
And you, Brad_Padgett, are being a prick. If you have something constructive to HELP him out, post. If not, mind your own business. ;)

Brad I'm far from clueless. You are entitled to your opinion.

Yea everyone you have been alot of help and i hope you keep on helping me and i will help you if i can and brad i dont really want any input from you if you cant help me by posting something you have no right saying everyone is clueless thats messed up man we all are on here to learn and teach is what it pretty much comes down to. So everyone im going to get a fuel gauge and get my press. at idel and WOT and give you all the stats on that im looking into the high performance fuel pump on Full Throttle performance not sure if anyone knows of that site but they that and a hot wire kit. Let me know if you think i should spend my money on that. Thanks everyone

Before you order the one from Full Throttle, ask if it'll fit a hot air. Ask if it is routed differently. I think the weatherpack connectors are different back by the fuel pump, too. My hot wire BARELY reached once I converted to IC'ed (because alt moves from pass side to drivers)

I got my fuel pump and hot wire from Brian at Gbody parts: Good guy to deal with, very quick shipping.

http://www.gbodyparts.com/index.php?cPath=46_21_49&osCsid=a403579bc31815f4f4648dc4aef69690

Whoever you order from, see if they also have the fuel gauge for the fuel rail, save on shipping. ;)

Good Point, so do you think by the simtoms im having you think its lack of fuel? if i get the better fuel pump should i get the hot wire kit? is the hot wire kit the hole damn thing all new wireing from front to back? about how long would you say it should take for me to do this? I have 3 days in our shop here at wyotech with a full car lift so that will be nice. Thanks

Also just looked at that site looks like they have some good stuff but who is Racetronix i looked at that kit on tehre site and for the pump and hot wire was only $135 and on your site you sent me was $165.

Hard to tell. Could be too little, could be too much. Hard to guess without seeing it/driving it/etc. If you get the pump (which you should) DEFINITELY get the hotwire. The point of the hot wire is to ensure you are getting good voltage from the alternator to the pump, and yes it runs from front to back. It is a simple install for the hotwire. All you do is zip tie it along the fuel lines along the frame rail. It connects the alternator to the fuel pump at the rear. Fuel PSI should raise 1 psi per psi of boost. (that is why I showed you the caspers gauge because you can put it under your windshield wiper and watch it on a run, not just underhood. The pump is a little tougher as you have to drop the tank. (make sure you either drain it, or drive most of it out.) Once you get the pump, hot wire, and gauge, your on your way to making good SAFE power. Take it easy on her until you get that stuff done, just to be safe. It is easier (and more fun) to learn about these cars because you WANT to, not because you broke it. :D

LOL ya very true as i stated im 20 years old limited money and going to school at Wyotech not sure if you have heard about that school. But i ask alot of questions no better place than here were you guys have done it and know what it takes. Thanks for the help you have been very nice and helpfull. Thank you

Wyo Tech is pretty amazing! We have a guy who is co-owner of a race car/resto shop here in Kansas that went there. He is a friggen magician with metal, whether it be cages, body mods, etc. You made a good choice!

Anytime you need help, just post it up here. If I am at home I am usually quick with pics for those posts like "where is the..." or "what the heck is a..."

Good times! :D