Waste Gate Hole Porting ?

onebadsix

What is the best way to enlarge the wastegate hole ? Can i do it on the car ? should i drill it or use a die grinder ? what kind of bit would i use if i use a die grinder? any suggestions ?

Thanks

I have always used a small dremel with a stone wheel.
I have the dremel in my right hand with the shop vac in my left suckin up all the debris.

Drop the downpipe and use the carbon build up around the hole as a guide. Even out the circle so that one side is not to close to the edge. There is usually a section that has more meat than the others. First smooth out the inside of the hole and then open it up a bit. Measure it if you want, for most 1 1/8th is plenty.

I also cranked up the adjustable wastegate rod a turn to make up for the bigger hole as spool up seemed a tad bit slower.

If possible, remove the exhaust housing. If the 3-bolt flange studs come out of the exhaust housing, the exhaust housing can be removed without removing the entire turbo, but can sometime be tricky as you don't want to bang the housing around on the turbine fins getting it off. This way there is no chance of that tiny piece of metal getting in there and ruining a seal.
I've always used a dremmel or if you know soeone that runs a CNC or manual mill machine it can be perfectly machined out.

i use a die grinder with a head porting carbide bit
very easy on the work bench with a vise
remove the exhaust housing from turbo;)