Voltage Light Issues

Aaron's GN

When I turn the key to the on position but do not start the car my voltage light will not illuminate. I've checked the connection and it appears to not have any corrosion and replaced the bulb. Still nothing. Can someone point me in the right direction on what to check next? Thanks for your help.
2014-07-26 13.07.53.jpg

Is the car charging? Might have been bypassed if car charges. I thought the light would still work. pm John Spina from Caspers. He makes the kit to bypass it.

Car is not charging. I ordered the Casper's Field Fix harness at the end of May. It has been on back order through Kirban's. I was told it will be another 5 weeks before it ships.

I'll try the jumper. It has a new alternator because a bearing went out in the old one. The light has not worked with either alternators.

I ran the jumper and guess what... The light comes on now. The alternator is brand new. Guess I'll take it to get tested.

And it's fixed... The last alternator checked fine at O'Reillys I talked them into taking it back and replacing it. The new one worked.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Awesome and nice work getting them convinced it was bad. After working in retail auto parts for nearly a decade I figured you would have a "struggle" with how it tested. Most people at the counter nowadays just read the voltmeter and send the customer on their way.

I thought the dash light would come "on" if it was not charging, not the other way around. At least it should be on when the car is running, correct?

man i just figured my car out yesterday on this.. put new alternator still no charging and no light on dash with key on! than i pull the hole cluster out and replaced the bulb and put new ends on the grounds, still nothing! wiggles the plug in the back of the alternator with the brown wire. and it starts charging? Wtf!! so i throw the old alternator back and it charges but after couple mins it drops in voltage!! put new alt back on and it holds the charge! so im going to replace the connector tomorrow but man what a cluster!! im glad u figured it out!!

I thought the dash light would come "on" if it was not charging, not the other way around. At least it should be on when the car is running, correct?

The light comes on when the key is turned on initially and turns off when the alternator starts charging. I am guessing he noticed the light was not coming on when the key was turned on and decided to get on that issue before the alternator gave up the ghost one day and left him wondering why the light didn't come on when he is alongside the road.

I ran the jumper and guess what... The light comes on now. The alternator is brand new. Guess I'll take it to get tested.
Just went through the exact same issue with an alternator from AutoZone on my buddy's car.

Moral of the story is:
Don't walk out of the store until they test the new alternator.
Unlike my buddy, I hope you kept the oem pulley.

The light comes on when the key is turned on initially and turns off when the alternator starts charging. I am guessing he noticed the light was not coming on when the key was turned on and decided to get on that issue before the alternator gave up the ghost one day and left him wondering why the light didn't come on when he is alongside the road.
For some reason my light didn't come on when I turned the key to the on position. It also did not charge and the light did not come on. I was confused too. I hooked the jumper up and found the light to work which also told me the wiring was good. New alternator fixed it. Guess it could have been a plug issue into the back of the alternator.

Just went through the exact same issue with an alternator from AutoZone on my buddy's car.

Moral of the story is:
Don't walk out of the store until they test the new alternator.
Unlike my buddy, I hope you kept the oem pulley.
No I wish I kept the pulley since the new one is gold...