virginia area bs thread

I hear you Red. It seems like everything is OK with the car. I have not driven it yet. Maybe thurs. I will look at the car very close, and make Greg an offer. I think he is getting fired from his job, and needs money. His plan is to then, sell my car for more money. He is one crazy guy.

Caveat emptor!

Scott:

It kind of depends on what you want to do with the car and what you're willing to live with. I'm sure (by now) you've pulled a CARFAX, if not then see below. As you've stated, the car was in an accident and it's probably not what you want to hear. But....to some people (like myself) it doesn't matter, as long as the car is straight (frame) and it goes straight. It's going to be a race car and I'll most likely never part with it. Wrecked in the past or not, if it runs the number then it'll have a home. Now, if Greg knows the true mileage and history then he should tell you upfront, but you already know that's not going to happen...right? At this point if it's not an even trade, then I'd not do it. On the surface it appears to be a good deal, but once you start digging around and finding out things, it becomes a totally different animal. Besides, you already know what type of character that you're dealing with...plus you've dealt with him in the past. I personally will not deal with him, he may be goofy, but he's not stupid! You're not going to win farting around with him.

Anyway, here's a portion of the CARFAX. Note that in March of 1992, the car was reported to have 54,095 miles on it. September of 2004 it only has 55,000 miles listed and the GNX dash has 36,201!

Oh, in case any of you missed the Ebay listing, the number is 2490649561. Just put that number in the search box and you're set.

03/06/1992 54,095 Wisconsin Motor Vehicle Dept.
Milwaukee, WI Title #92066MB018
Title or registration issued

06/18/2004 Wisconsin
Police Report Case #040604809
Accident Reported in Washington County
Vehicle involved in crash with a stationary object
Very severe damage reported

-

I'll bet Greg did not know this info. Also, a TB.com member told me the doors were rusting out inside, bad tranny, motor damage from accident, etc. I think Greg just wants to make money from this, then sell my car after he takes off all my parts and make more money. I won't be involved in this, that's for sure!

Thanks for the help on this. I hope everybody gets their cars running strong by spring!

Scott

Im betting that the car was original when wrecked and since It had that damage the guy had nothing to loose by turning it into a stage car

so most likely all the drivetrain in it is from after the wreck

I didnt look at it good enough but it may have even had a frame swap under it ...I know if I had one that wrecked I'd swap the frame v/s having it straitened

No, I don't think so Red. Someone told me it was a "featured" car on the opening page of GNTtype.org a year or two ago. A bad wreck may have made the crank go forward, from a sudden stop at high mph. ?? It is a dutt. build car, right? So maybe another frame was used? Well that is OK, I guess.
I have a audible knock in my top end now?? i also see 4 degrees of knock, no matter how much boost/octane. I need to get it check out!! Knock comes and goes at random at WOT. Sometimes it pops up at first, then OK after that.
No metal in oil or filter (I checked), sounds like the drivers side valve cover area.
Scott

knocking sounds arent good

I'm suppose to be in Richmond thursday

give me a ring thursday some time after noon or so maybe we can meet up somewhere :)

Originally posted by turbo2nr
No metal in oil or filter (I checked), sounds like the drivers side valve cover area.
Scott

I wonder if you hurt a rocker shaft?

I had one nearly break off at the end.:eek:

Originally posted by NEARING
I wonder if you hurt a rocker shaft?

I had one nearly break off at the end.:eek:

sounds like someone might need to upgrade to some T & D rockers :eek:

if ya do ...buy some 1.65 ratio ;)

I have seen a couple of broken ones before. I added RJC rocker shaft braces when i put in new springs. I have not pulled off the cover yet. Car runs fine, has power, etc. I doubt the shaft is broken, but good idea. Any more guesses?

Cracked header! I guess the ticking sound would trigger the knock sensor at WOT, right? I will replace the set with something better. Bigger turbo, and a new set of headers are on my Christmas list. Any suggestions on headers? ATR? Poston? Other?

Scott H.

Any suggestions on headers? ATR? Poston? Other?

any of the ones you mentioned are good... but I would just have the cracked header repaired and spend that $$$ elsewhere in the car. Maybe get Red to fix the header and port both passenger and drivers side headers. ;)

Hey Scott: Whats going on with the stage two trade deal??
Hope all is well and looking forward to racing this coming spring.
P.S. My engine went back in this passed weekend. Pulls hard!!:eek: :eek: :eek: :D

I have recieved money for my old TE-61 today!:)
I am either getting a GT67, P-trim, Or a 45a P-trim, they are the largest, small shaft turbos. I will get a .85 exaust housing for better top end. These are cheap turbos, and after that (hope to get a girdle, and built motor soon), I plan on selling (maybe summer) and going with a gt70/gtq trim with a .85 A/R. I might want to try the TSM class, once I sell my Subaru, to get some money to be competitive.
Those new mototron 60, (or 65lb?) injectors look pretty good.
I think I'm going to keep my car.

Originally posted by turbo2nr
I have recieved money for my old TE-61 today!:)
I am either getting a GT67, P-trim, Or a 45a P-trim, they are the largest, small shaft turbos. I will get a .85 exaust housing for better top end. These are cheap turbos, and after that (hope to get a girdle, and built motor soon), I plan on selling (maybe summer) and going with a gt70/gtq trim with a .85 A/R. I might want to try the TSM class, once I sell my Subaru, to get some money to be competitive.
Those new mototron 60, (or 65lb?) injectors look pretty good.
I think I'm going to keep my car.

You're going to put me to shame with a stock cam and heads!:eek:

Still waiting on rocker shafts!!!!!!!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
Im thinking of a bigger turbo down the road as well. Scott, maybe when you step up again I can buy what you are putting on now!

Lets get to thinking about an early 2005 get together for the much needed bench racing sesson. This always gets the blood pumping for the winter build.

Dave:D

parts forsale

I just wanted to offer these up locally first

TE-63e turbo w/garrett .63 a/r 3 bolt housing $550 firm
Stock Turbo recent rebuild $250
several new heavy duty actuators your choice $45 each
several used heavy duty actuators your choice $35 each

will have more parts to list soon

I can be reached at l82@visi.net