very loud top end

1st.turbo.car

I finally finish getting minor things done with the car stock 87 long block trw forged pistons erson cam an lifters ported heads an intake few more things when i the car is cold no noise when warms up its loud the cam an lifters are new broke in the oil pressure is steady when i give gas the noise goes away i have video any suggestions welcome.[video]http://www.youtube.com/user/tae15911[/video]

any suggestions to the tapping sound people tell me the gn has a noisey drivetrain the motor is fresh am i worrying for nothing or is it major all the help appreciated thanks.

Sounds like the lifters ticking to me. Could be in the rocker arms but I'd think the noise would be the same hot or cold or possibly even quieter when it gets hot and things expand. The lifters themselves could be bleeding off as the oil thins out or the cam could have a profile that makes for a noisy valve train. But again if it were the cam profile I'd think the noise would be constant or increase with RPM. I'm betting it's the lifters unless your oil pressure is dropping way off when it's hot.

Way noisy! What oil and how much pressure? :confused: It may be thinning out with heat, letting the lifters partially collapse...

the oil pressure is normal the cam is 208 208 i cant hear under throttle only at idle or stand still someone told me it was fine just worried wanna get a couple runs test an tunes before seasons over thanks

at idle the oil pressure is 25 psi i dont remember the oil brand should i use a heavier oil ill take the vc off to see whats going on after work

Lifter preload sounds like a place to start.
Adj rockers?
CORRECT length pushrods?

Ya that's weird. If oil pressure is up I would have to lean toward lifter pre load as well.

How did you measure to get your push rod length?

RL

[video]http://www.youtube.com/user/tae15911[/video] this is a video this mourning oil pressure good very lite noise when warmed its loud like the first video

I cannot find any listings for Buick parts from Erson. You didn't by chance buy variable rate lifters (like from Rhoads)? These will clack because they're designed to bleed off oil (affecting lift and duration) at low speeds. Other that that, I'd 'guess' your lifters are just sloppy and thus bleeding off like a Rhoads lifter...

I think I have a similar noise... TRW forged pistions too but a Isky 206/206 cam (I think, been almost 10 years since this motor was build)

[video=youtube;WNSQMMUm4u0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNSQMMUm4u0[/video]

Same, 20-25psi hot oil pressure

Have an identical noise to T-Type85...I have a roller cam and a buddy told me my noise was the link bar that holds the lifter in place to prevent it from rotating not that the lifter was bleeding down...Mine will get quiet at idle after warm but the noise comes back a little under throttle....

Have an identical noise to T-Type85...I have a roller cam and a buddy told me my noise was the link bar that holds the lifter in place to prevent it from rotating not that the lifter was bleeding down...Mine will get quiet at idle after warm but the noise comes back a little under throttle....

Have you set the pre-load on your lifters recently? Higher lift cams can mess with your pre-load in no time.