valve springs

cloneman315

i see this is a big thing with these cars,what are the signs i am guessing slow reving etc ?i really dont want to have to do this but if i have to i guess i will,im sure its easy,wonder if i need to do it,car seems good even know it isnt fully dialed in yet.

Depends on how many miles are on the springs now. They are not too hard to change on the car, just a pain in the ass. You will need a tool for this, I used the Krbian’s tool and it worked OK. One work of caution, if it has the original timing chain and sprocket set you need to replace them at the same time when you do the valve springs. The reason is that the cam sprocket is nylon to dampen false knock and after 20+ years they become brittle and if you add new springs it will be too much for the old sprocket. I found out the hard way, I installed new valve springs and in less than 100 miles I spun a rod bearing and lost a new turbo that I had installed when I did the valve springs. The cam sprocket had become chewed up and all that nylon went to the oil pan and onto the pickup. It had even blocked off the bypass on the pickup. If you know the history of you car and that it has had a new timing set installed you are good to go, but if not don’t take a chance.

Good luck,
Jim

i see this is a big thing with these cars,what are the signs i am guessing slow reving etc ?i really dont want to have to do this but if i have to i guess i will,im sure its easy,wonder if i need to do it,car seems good even know it isnt fully dialed in yet.

If you're going to run more boost than stock (which you are ;) ), and you plan on turning the car past 4400rpm (which you do :cool: ), you're gonna need to replace the valvesprings with something better than the same ones GM had been using since 1979.

I made my own tool to do the job, based off the Kirban tool, but much better.

K.

im sure it cant be to bad,i dont know if it was done,i dont think so car has 68,000 on it dosent look like anyone messed with it

im sure it cant be to bad,i dont know if it was done,i dont think so car has 68,000 on it dosent look like anyone messed with it

Too bad im having back surgery tomorrow or Id help with the spring change and the timing chain. I tore a disc pushing my buick onto a trailer. Smart...real smart! But, I love her! If you do it in a couple of weeks I should be able to help. I dont think we live far from each other. Im down by lake wylie. 49 and 160 area.

what do you think?im sure you know how body shops guys are,i dropped it off 2 weeks ago and i said,'HERE YOU CANHAVE THE CAR EARLY FOR 2 WEEKS BUT I NEED IT FOR THE AUTO FAIR IS THIS A PROBLEM'?WHAT DO YOU THINK HE SAID,NO NO ITS PLENTY OF TIME,all body guys are the same,but it dosent matter suppose to pour saturday anyways

what do you think?im sure you know how body shops guys are,i dropped it off 2 weeks ago and i said,'HERE YOU CANHAVE THE CAR EARLY FOR 2 WEEKS BUT I NEED IT FOR THE AUTO FAIR IS THIS A PROBLEM'?WHAT DO YOU THINK HE SAID,NO NO ITS PLENTY OF TIME,all body guys are the same,but it dosent matter suppose to pour saturday anyways

It's more than just body guys. I signed off on the insurance estimate on the motorcycle like 6-weeks ago, and was told it would only take 2-weeks... :rolleyes:

K.