Valve cover breathers

chris-74GN

Hello I'm trying to familiarize myself with my car and would like to ask some questions. I noticed on the passenger valve cover the filter/breather which is mounted horizontally is very oily, is this normal? And how often does it need to be replaced? I also have one in the drivers side oil fill port but it's dry.

dyqa4ety.jpg

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a K&N, so don't throw it away. Just use the K&N cleaning kit to wash it and re-oil it. It gets oil soaked pretty regularly.

That little breather was not put there by the factory. When the car was new there was a hose that went from there to the turbo. If you look at the turbo you will see a black cap. People found out early on that oil fumes would travel from the valve cover to the turbo which is a bad thing. So like Squid4life said, wash it in soapy water, and spray it with the K&N oil and you will be good to go. The dealer might still sell the foam filter for your boost solenoid if you want to get one. Or look at page 14 here......http://www.oldbuickparts.com/catalog/pdf/catgnt/catgnt.pdf

I made a L out o some steel pipe so the fliter was facing straight up. Worked nice.

I think I gave it to my friend V8Killer since I changed to TA valve covers. It was very simple. I found a TV cart in the trash that had 1" tubing for the frame. Being a fugal New Englander I saw something that could be repurposed. A simple 45* cut on 2 pieces and my first attempt at welding created my masterpiece. I had already bought a plastic ell but didn't know if it would withstand the heat near the turbo. That's when I got the idea to use the pipe I found. Painted it black. Cut a piece of 1" hose for the filter to mount into. Done. All you need to do is find an old TV cart.;)

Last edited:
Went to the dealership today and they have the little filters for the boost solenoid $1.95 each so I ordered a few. Mounting the filter/breather vertical would make it easier to access, great idea. I will look into trying something like that.
Next step to wash the K&N filter, picked up the cleaning/recharge kit 2 bottles in the kit one to wash the filter the other is the spray on coating to put on afterward. That thing is really drenched in oil, is the kit really going to get all the oil off or am I better trying dish soap or something?

Hey GNrick, thanks for the parts catalogue it will come in handy.

Went to the dealership today and they have the little filters for the boost solenoid $1.95 each so I ordered a few. Mounting the filter/breather vertical would make it easier to access, great idea. I will look into trying something like that.
Next step to wash the K&N filter, picked up the cleaning/recharge kit 2 bottles in the kit one to wash the filter the other is the spray on coating to put on afterward. That thing is really drenched in oil, is the kit really going to get all the oil off or am I better trying dish soap or something?

I used dish soap yesterday and it worked well. Then I saw the filter cleaning solution in the kit but didn't need it.

Was going to try cleaning the filter this afternoon but had to go to the cottage to fix the gas stove and install a water line for the fridge, don't think I will be able to get to it until the weekend, will post my results.

Cleaned my filters today with the K&N kit today, worked well I used the cleaning spray bottle it came with. So I was pulling off the passenger side valve cover breather and because it was in such a tight area the filter came off the aluminium base. Could I glue or silicone it back onto the base or should I just get a new one? Now I'm defiantly going to look into getting that thing in the upright position.

Also when I had the cone filter and pipe off I looked into the turbo and I think I saw what seems to look like an emoji on one of the blades? Check it out. What's with the white paint on one of the blades?
na6udepu.jpg

Cleaned my filters today with the K&N kit today, worked well I used the cleaning spray bottle it came with. So I was pulling off the passenger side valve cover breather and because it was in such a tight area the filter came off the aluminium base. Could I glue or silicone it back onto the base or should I just get a new one? Now I'm defiantly going to look into getting that thing in the upright position.

Also when I had the cone filter and pipe off I looked into the turbo and I think I saw what seems to look like an emoji on one of the blades? Check it out. What's with the white paint on one of the blades?
na6udepu.jpg

Its usually a balance mark.

That thing is really drenched in oil, is the kit really going to get all the oil off or am I better trying dish soap or something?

It's made of cotton. Throw it in the washing machine with the wife's unmentionables.

No need to oil it, It'll oil itself.