Vacuum pump

VernLee

I can't hold the car with my vacuum brakes at the starting line, done terrible at the track, I want to add a small vacuum pump, 12 volt, to assist my brakes, what cars have them ? I read the post who is using vacuum brakes, just ended in an arugment, didn't answer any questions, My brakes work fine, but I need something for the strip.some say a cannister will work, but I was thinking a small pump would be better. any one know ???

Did you add the S-10 wheel cylinders yet? Did you use your E-brake? Were you running slicks? What was your 60'?

You can get a pretty good vacuum pump off any 85 thru 87 Cadillac front drive. It's located under where the battery is mounted. Get it from under the fender. Held in place with three 13mm capscrews.

13.14 @ 112 mph
60'- 2.520:mad:
No I haven't added the S-10 cylinders yet
no E-brake
no slicks-didn't need them,was pushing car with the street tires
check valve is good
closed exhaust,
Red do think that caddy vac-pump would do the trick ?
brakes work great for normal driving, just want to try for better hole shots.If I could get my 60' ft times down,I think my times would be acceptable.

If you want to run a vac. pump, go to www.mpbrakes.com. My friend runs a vac. pump from them on his 71 Cutlass. It is pretty much the same one from the Caddy Cimmeron. It keeps a solid 20in of vac. With this setup his car stops better then some new cars I have driven. Let me know if you want any more info on this setup.

James

I don't see how your 60s can be so bad. I always run with street tires and when the traction goes away, 2.0s to 2.3s are the norm. You don't want to hold boost on the line with street tires. Your blowing your tires away. Just come out at idle or 1500 rpm, unless the track is fresh and sticky. If fresh and sticky, then you can come out with 1 or 2lbs of boost.

It was definitly sticky & fresh I was the first out, made three passes before it rained, 2.520-2.490-2.437, This was my first time at the track in over thirty years, I need more pratice for sure, I raced a friend that had a 454 BB chev. he turned a 11.79, Iwas watching a vidio of my race with him, and was gaining on him from half track on, but he was so far ahead of me from his hole shot it wasn't funny,It's plain to see once my 60' times are in order, I should have some decent E.T.'s

Well, it seems more than likely, that by coming out with boost, caused you to blow your street tires away. Your vacuum brakes shouldn't be an issue unless you're trying to hold boost, which you shouldn't do on street tires. Knock .5 or .6 off that terrible 60', which is attainable with street tires, and run very low 12s. ;)