Vacuum hose

chris-74GN

I was looking over things on the engine and noticed a cracked vac hose, I will post pictures. Where can I find a replacement line? Would the buick dealership have one?
If someone could help out I have some questions.

ubemu6e2.jpg

It's cracked at the white "T". One side goes to my pillar boost gauge and the other side goes to a relay/block on the passenger fender.

yvy9uty4.jpg

What is this block and what does it do?
Why is the vac hose small and ridged?

Also noticed another vac port with 2 connections, the one line "T"s off and goes into the turbo and the waste gate. Should the other port go somewhere?
qajuheqa.jpg

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That white T is not factory, it is just a typical parts place piece. As for the vac fitting that is torn, you might be able to find it in the "Help" section at Autozone or Pep Boys, etc. The sensor on the pass fender the vac hose goes to is your MAP sensor. Manifold Absolute Pressure.

As for the pass valve cover, that port being open is fine. From the factory it came with this tiny foam "filter" that falls apart after a few years.

Great. Thanks for your help. I'm in canada, will try to find a replacement. Why does the hose change in size and is rigid? Could I not just use a regular vac rubber line?

Can't answer why GM used the hard plastic lines, other than maybe to save from collapsing under vacuum? My old GN had many splices from the plastic hose breaking so it had lots of "patches". I would use tight fitting vac hose with a touch of super glue, and try to slide the plastic hose as far into the vac hose as possible. Worked for the ~10+ years I had the car.

On a different note, how do I delete my topic/thread once my question has been answered? Or should it stay up and I could help our someone else one day.

They stay up to help guys later who have the same problem. That is why the search function should always be your first stop when researching an issue. 97% of the time some other poor sap has had the same issue. (more than likely about 50+ poor saps have had the same issue!!!)

The frustrating thing is when some poor sap asks a great question, gets a dozen possible answers, and then never posts back with the solution.:mad:

Called the buick dealership today asking about the MAP sensor vacuum line, the guy said they had something but probably better to come in and look at the diagram to make sure it was indeed the part and bring him a VIN. So I go down with my VIN, he pulls out the diagram and yup that's the part, have to order it in and it's $58. What? For a vacuum line? I decided to go check the local auto recycling yard, found a similar vac line with a rubber boot on the end from a early 90's lumina, when I pulled off the old rubber boot I noticed the rigid vac line has a barbed end so I didn't need to use any glue and the other end of the boot went on the white "T" really tight. Seems to be ok.

su3ytemy.jpg

The "HELP!" section at the parts stores sell that rigid line. When the GN bug bites you and you turn up the boost, you will want to zip tie all of the vacuum lines so they don't blow off.

Looks like maybe you should have gotten two of those... The one on the right looks a little dry rotted as well...

The foam wastegate solenoid filter is available at Highway Stars. The boost air is exhausted there as controled by the computer to allow boost over what the basic actuator/boost loop would allow, thus it's computer controled. The filter keeps dirt out of the solenoid, which I think is now discontinued. The MAP just is used to control the analogue boost gage. On digital dash cars it's replaced with a 2 steped pressure switch for the orange and red dash boost lights.

that open port only blows out. If dirt does get in there, it gets launched the first time the ECM chatters the solenoid.

I'm up in canada and it seems guys don't know to many details at the parts store maybe because they are just really young. The guy tried looking for things, we went thru pages and paged on his computer... But couldn't find anything. The help section only had window cranks, the upholstery panel clips, things like that I will look closer next time. I'm running 18lbs boost, I just don't want to start breaking thinks but ya I can see what you mean about the GN bug biting.

Noticed the dry rot on the other side also, when I was at the auto recycling yard I did grab a hand full of various ends only cost me only $5. I will change it also.

I didn't want to order such a small part thru the mail and have the possibility of being charged shipping to canada. Really hard to find any vendors up here. If the solenoid is discontinued, what do we do when it needs replacing?