vacuum change over?

GNguy198687

Hello guys/gals, Dan in Scranton Pa, new here. If I wanted to change over to vacuum booster brakes, what do I need and or need to do? Get booster and master and vac canister first? Do I have to drill firewall or get new brake pedal? Vacuum filters and check valves? Any info will help, thanks

HINT..............
remove the drivers seat,, lay a blanket on the studs.
so much easier!

I had mine converted a few weeks ago. Stops a lot better than the PowerBastard....The only thing is my pedal feel is quite different from any other car I have driven. My mechanic modified my old pedal per the instructions. Im sure it could be fine-tuned but its ok for now. I might pick up a manual pedal from a salvage yard sometime and have it swapped out. As far as the rest of the kit its top shelf. You will be happy with the results. Check Kirbans out. They have several kits.

Thanks Knux.....Is the filter in the new vacuum line between the block and the booster needed? I don't have one installed. Part number?

Last edited:
Thanks Knux.....Is the filter in the new vacuum line between the block and the booster needed? I don't have one installed. Part number?

You can do it one of two ways, either use the inline filter or use a different check valve. See this picture:

http://www.tomsttype.com/assets/images/brakeinstall22.jpg

Note the check valve and that it is skinny with an X molded into the front piece. There is another GM check valve that is more bulge shaped, I've gotten some off of late '80s - into '90s Astro vans. These have a cleaner look then using the inline filter.

RemoveBeforeFlight

I might pick up a manual pedal from a salvage yard sometime and have it swapped out.
This will / Should solve your peddle problem. I got mine from a junk yard (removed for me) for only $20 and it worked great!

ok.... I wasn't aware of any fumes in the vacuum line. Now I know. Also I am having steel braided lines installed later this week. These might help the pedal feel a little also.