Vacuum brakes conversion

HTML:
Well, Are You Ready?
That's your answer???

The pedal is not going to be new, you can get that from a few guys on this board, Red Regal being one of them.

As for the new stuff, I got mine from the V6 Regal at Murrays Autoparts. There is someone that does the pedal with the new stuff ( I can't remember ), might have to do a search if no one else chimes in.

Hydroboost Conversion

Hi Dr. Well, Actually I Was Referring To Chavol. He Was Leaning Towards The Hydroboost. The H/b Uses The Same Pedal As The Powermaster. No Need To Change It. The Hydroboost Delivers 2000psi To The Calipers At Idle Pump Speed. Spin Up The Motor, And The Hydroboost Holds Even Better. The Vacuum Booster At Idle May Be Able To Deliver 750 Psi, But As The Rpms Come Up, And The Boost Pushes Aways The Vacuum, The Pressure The Brakes Will Have Is What You Can Leg Up. Usually About 450psi. Drums Lock At 600psi, (usually) And Discs Lock Up Somewhere Over 1600psi. Buick Never Installed A Vacuum Booster On Their Turbocharged Cars.

powerbrakebob i have a question i am converting to hydroboost on my 87gn and i have a complete setup off of a 85 gn this is the problem the brake lines going to the master cylinder are in a different spot and they are different sizes what i mean by that is the 87 setup has a big fitting in the front of the master and a small fitting in the back but the hydroboost master is just the opposite but they screw in does this matter on this system

Hydroboost Conversion

Hey There.. Well The Bigger Reservoir Always Goes To The Front Brakes. It Seems All Gm Pass Cars Use The 1/2-20 Thread Port To The Front Brakes, And The 9/16"-18 Thread For The Rears. So, Yes, Just Switch The Lines.

Who has the Best most complete NEW system???

Hey long time no talk too. Is it the price that is keeping you from the HydroBoost system? It is not cheap but it is the last time you will mess with brakes on your car. If it is the price it may be better to hold off and get a system that will last and most importantly work.

PM me if you have any questions.

Shane

Hi Dr. Well, Actually I Was Referring To Chavol. He Was Leaning Towards The Hydroboost. The H/b Uses The Same Pedal As The Powermaster. No Need To Change It. The Hydroboost Delivers 2000psi To The Calipers At Idle Pump Speed. Spin Up The Motor, And The Hydroboost Holds Even Better. The Vacuum Booster At Idle May Be Able To Deliver 750 Psi, But As The Rpms Come Up, And The Boost Pushes Aways The Vacuum, The Pressure The Brakes Will Have Is What You Can Leg Up. Usually About 450psi. Drums Lock At 600psi, (usually) And Discs Lock Up Somewhere Over 1600psi. Buick Never Installed A Vacuum Booster On Their Turbocharged Cars.

But Pontiac did on the TTAs...GM must have seen the error of their ways:cool:

I think both Kirban and Poston sells a new setup. You'll have to pickup a brake pedal, however, because the powerdisaster pedal must go. If you can't find one, the PM pedal can be easily modified.

Hydroboost Conversion

Everyone Points To The Pontiac Tta. They Came Out In 1989. I Think Only 1500 Were Made. I Also Think That Gm (delco) Did Not Have The Powermaster Still In Production In 1989. The G.n.'s Ceased Production In 1987. They Sold The P/m To Raybestos. So, For 2 Years There Was No Production Need For The P/m, And No Other Cars Used Them. Buick Never Put A Vacuum Booster On Their Turbocharged Cars. Only The Standard Regals. Buick (gm) Was Concerned About Turbo Boost Blowing Off The Vacuum Hose, Or Blowing Into The Check Valve Into The Booster. This Would Explode The Vac Booster With 20lbs Of Air Pressure. Big Liabilities. The Only Way A Turbo Engine Can Pull Vacuum Is When The Throttle Shuts, At High Engine Speed. With The Overdrives, There Is No Decelerating High Engine Speed. The Engine Basically Freewheels, Vacuum Wise. If, You Wanted To Downshift Everytime You Wish To Stop, Then You May Have Vacuum. So, G.m. Installed A Vacuum Block To Prevent Turbo Pressure From Entering The Vacuum Booster. G.m. May Have Also Ground The Cam Differently On The Tta To Increase Vacuum. The Less Duration Of Valve Opening, The Higher The Vacuum. My Point With The Hydroboost Is It Does Not Care What Cam Shaft You Run. It Does Not Care How Much Boost Your Turbo Puts Out. It Doesn't Care How Much Horepower You Have, It Just Delivers The 2000pis To The Calipers, If You Want It.

Everyone Points To The Pontiac Tta. They Came Out In 1989. I Think Only 1500 Were Made. I Also Think That Gm (delco) Did Not Have The Powermaster Still In Production In 1989. The G.n.'s Ceased Production In 1987. They Sold The P/m To Raybestos. So, For 2 Years There Was No Production Need For The P/m, And No Other Cars Used Them. Buick Never Put A Vacuum Booster On Their Turbocharged Cars. Only The Standard Regals. Buick (gm) Was Concerned About Turbo Boost Blowing Off The Vacuum Hose, Or Blowing Into The Check Valve Into The Booster. This Would Explode The Vac Booster With 20lbs Of Air Pressure. Big Liabilities. The Only Way A Turbo Engine Can Pull Vacuum Is When The Throttle Shuts, At High Engine Speed. With The Overdrives, There Is No Decelerating High Engine Speed. The Engine Basically Freewheels, Vacuum Wise. If, You Wanted To Downshift Everytime You Wish To Stop, Then You May Have Vacuum. So, G.m. Installed A Vacuum Block To Prevent Turbo Pressure From Entering The Vacuum Booster. G.m. May Have Also Ground The Cam Differently On The Tta To Increase Vacuum. The Less Duration Of Valve Opening, The Higher The Vacuum. My Point With The Hydroboost Is It Does Not Care What Cam Shaft You Run. It Does Not Care How Much Boost Your Turbo Puts Out. It Doesn't Care How Much Horepower You Have, It Just Delivers The 2000pis To The Calipers, If You Want It.

>Everyone Points To The Pontiac Tta.

So does that make it not true?

>I Think Only 1500 Were Made.

Good "Guess":rolleyes:

>I Also Think That Gm (delco) Did Not Have The Powermaster Still In Production In 1989.

Thats right...they knew they wouldn't need to make any more for warranty replacements:rolleyes: It was still in production.

>There Was No Production Need For The P/m, And No Other Cars Used Them.

Because of all the warranty claims GM paid out. PM sucks

>Buick (gm) Was Concerned About Turbo Boost Blowing Off The Vacuum Hose, Or Blowing Into The Check Valve Into The Booster. This Would Explode The Vac Booster With 20lbs Of Air Pressure

How do you know this???? Can you provide some documentation? My vac brakes don't do this. Maybe I'm smarter than the GM engineers....HOORAY FOR ME!!!

> G.m. May Have Also Ground The Cam Differently On The Tta To Increase
Vaccum.

"May"????? Where do you get this from?

Do you have any real numbers about stopping power from the brake system you're SELLING on this board. Real live test cars maybe? Stuff besides you "think"and "maybe"?!!?

thanks,Chris

I will go to hydroboost on my other car also. Believe or not my faster car has vacuum brakes and they work! I have wilwood brakes in the front and 11" drums in the rear and the car stops on a dime! Many of my friends can tell you :D. I am running alluminum heads, solid roller and a big turbo. I just want the hydroboost for the street car mainly for the capability to hold more boost without the transbrake.

I have vac brakes and can hold 12* lbs. Waaaaay more than the drag radials can stand under most conditions. Stock discs and drums (well, two long shoes on the drums and big cylinders).A Brand new booster ,used normally aspirated pedal, vac block and I was in at around $175-$180 if my memory serves me correctly.

And I do have a big cam...which miraculously still pulls vacuum.:biggrin:

The bottom line is vacuum brakes work and are effective and indeed, cost effective, because you're not likely to ever have a problem again. There are those on this thread who have claimed to hold 10lbs and up, of boost on the line. What more could you ask for?

Now, those who want to spend a lot of money to buy and maintain Hydro-boost, that's fine. What I object to, is this non TR owner, huckster, who posts here putting out misinformation to make a sale. Right Bob? :rolleyes:

No, your car won't blow up if you use vacuum brakes. :biggrin:

Huckster?

Power Brake Service Has Been In Business Since 1950. Hardly A Huckster Type. We Are The Only Appointed Bosch Distributor For New Hydroboosts In The U.s. Not Only The Hydroboost, But The Entire Line Of Bosch Brake And Engine Parts. Bosch Doesn't Think We Are "hucksters". So Why Would Bosch (the Successor To Bendix) Appoint Good Ol' Bob To That Distributorship? Actually, We "are" In The Power Brake Business, And If Anyone Else Is Actually In This Business. Step Up, And Prove The Hydroboost Does Not Work. We Have Rebuilt And Modified Vacuum Booster For All Vehicles, Including The Handicapped Vans. Mr Red Has Never Let On The Name Of His Brake Company Yet. As Far As "his" Or "anyones" Brake Booster, They Were Designed And Built By "a.c. Delco" Not Mr Red. Buick Had Thousands Of Vacuum Boosters Ready To Install On The V8 Regals, At A Cost Of $12.00 Each, But They Chose Not To Use Them. The Powermaster Cost Buick 40 Times More. There Must Be A Reason. Oddly Enough, On This Very "forum" The Number One Topic Here Is The 90% Failures Of The Powermaster. Failures Of The Powermaster Leads To Failure Of Your Brakes. Good, Or Not Good? Vacuum Boosters Need Vacuum To Work. 20" Of Vacuum Is What They Are Rated At. Not Too Many Cars Here Have It, Unless You Downshift At Every Brake Application. If You Believe Vacuum Boosters Are Designed To Work With 8" Of Vacuum, Check Any Brake Book You Can Find To Prove It. Oddly Enough, Again, The 83-85 T Types Came With A Hydroboost From The Factory. None Of Those Owners, 25 Years Later, Have Come To This Forum, And Complained About Their Brakes. None. They Still Work. I Have A Huge Bin Of Take Off Powermaster Cores. A Pile Of Them. All Of The Motors Are Shot. No One Here Has Actually Stepped Forward With A Tta, And Would Be Willing To Take On A Brake Test Against A Hydroboost Equipped G.n. Have They? Will They? Some Said They Can Hold 12-20 Lbs Of Booster With A Vacuum Booster. Air Pressure Is The Opposite Of Vacuum. Vacuum Boosters Don't Work With Out Vacuum. Ask Buick. Ask Delco. Turns Out, They Are Using A Transbrake, And Not Supercharging A Vacuum Booster. Is There Any One Here Willing To Take The Hydroboost Challenge, And Report It Here? Fair And Square? You Bring In A Vacuum Booster G.n., We Test The Stopping Distance, Then Convert It To Hydroboost. We Then Report The Difference In Holding Power, And Stopping Distance. Better Yet, A Magazine Writer. Here On This Forum. I'm Ready. Mr. Red, Supply Us With "your" Vacuum Booster, And Let The Test Begin.

Hero stories :rolleyes: ... I know your type. If you're such a big (deal) vendor, why don't you step up and pay for a BANNER AD here at TB.com? At least in that way, you could support the TR community and it would be easier to suffer your BS.

Mr. Huckster is right! If you didn't put out so much incorrect information and BS about TRs and the TTAs you know nothing about, I wouldn't accuse you of it. If you ask me, people who make up stories to sell their product, no matter what it is, are HUCKSTERS. Personally, I have no problem with anyone who wants to use a hydro-boost or purchase one from you for over $600, but I do have a problem with the misinformation you've been putting on this board for years. I told you the very same thing, years ago. I guess some people, not many, just believe your bull$hit. As for the fact that I have sold used vacuum brake systems on here for years, it's more of a service to the TR community than a business. You're no competition to me. I could care less if I never got another order for the kit I sell off this board, but I don't like it when people have to lie and fabricate to sell a product in my community. A person like that, who either doesn't know, or feels compelled to fib, I don't want to do business with, and he is a HUCKSTER!

I'm not "Mr Red". And I have a GN(DO YOU!!!!). It has vac brakes with no trans brake. I can hold 12+ lbs of boost on the line!

You also have your guinea pig...cause I gotta TTA also.

But you answered my question...you haven't done any testing on a TR or you wouldn't be asking us for test vehicles:eek:

And I quote:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Power Brake Service Has Been In Business Since 1950. Hardly A Huckster Type. We Are The Only Appointed Bosch Distributor For New Hydroboosts In The U.s. Not Only The Hydroboost, But The Entire Line Of Bosch Brake And Engine Parts.

So I can't buy a bosch o2 sensor at autozone???? BS

So you've been in business for 57 years and have no hard facts to back up your claims and want John DiCarlo to do the testing for you??? I wonder why he called you a huckster. You want to prove your point once and for all...
I got the cars for the test. Come down here and prove it. You are willing to make money off of this board with unsubstansiated claims you can't put hard facts to. I'll help you out. Come here and use my cars for test purposes. The door is WIDE open for you to put yor money where your mouth is. We will video it or whatever it takes to be scientific and prove it. And if you're right you will truly be able to back up your claims and make well DESERVED money from the people on this forum.

Whatcha wanna do?

You would think that a "good" online salesperson could compose what the rest of the world calls paragraphs instead of one big jumble of words! Also, every word doesn't need to be capitalized! And, I too have Vacuum Brakes and they work fine for me. They are stock 1990 V6 Firebird Brakes.

Hey! ,If his stuff is the shiznit...here is his oppurtunity to prove it. And I'll sing the hydroboost song for eternity.