Using Turbolink In 1/4 Mile

PaulRV6

With all the talk about the "NEW" turbolink I thought I would ask the question about using it in a drag strip pass. Not having used it yet but considering, how would you use it in a 1/4 mile pass? I'm talking in terms of the "slow" (1.7 frames/sec) collection of data, can you do much with it? Then what about an 1/8 mile run?
How is it best used? Looks cool though. Thanks

paul

You use it just like you use the current TurboLink.... :)

I just set the record trigger for a certain TPS (the new TurboLink allows you to set multiple triggers in any combination... for example: TPS > 1.2 AND MPH > 5 AND RPM > 2300... another FIRST!). Close the lid on the computer and concentrate on racing...

At the end of the run, hit "QuickSave" and pick up your slip and go back to the pits. At that time you can walk through the run step by step and see what was happening and make adjustments.

Obviously, you are being shown a "moving average" and you're looking for ways to make performance better (i.e. you see that it's leaning out on top, or too much boost, or whatever). You're not trying to cut a new chip or dial in a chip calibration to the nTH degree. You are improving a "tune" that you are familar with and that can be affected by gross mechanical changes (fuel pressure, boost, shift technique, etc.).

Lots of data is great, especially when doing chip work or honing in on some elusive problem, but for the vast majority of the time you don't need all that detail because you really can't affect much without chip work. You are just verfying what experience and "feel" are telling you with hard data from TurboLink. Don't get me wrong, diagnosis of problems and honing in on that state of tune is where all the scan tools can really help out, but once you get close, often times all you need is a "review".

Sorry for the "stream of conciousness"! :)

Thanks Ken, but I do not have any scan tool YET. I am paying close attention to your latest version to come out. I am always hearing from some that there isn't enough data on a run with TL but your explanation makes allot of sense.
I have downloaded your demo and also get your email updates.

Any idea what the new version will cost, (not an upgrade)?

Regards

paul

Price is dependent on what we get back from manufacturing estimates. We haven't had a chance to nail that all down yet. (Soon! It's gotta happen soon! :) )

As far as "not enough data", I think that's just a personal preference, but some of the real chip tuners can really put all that extra data to use. I personally think that it all depends on how you approach your tuning... there are times where more data is really a good thing, but, especially when you are going rounds, I like to verify things are OK and concentrate on the competition. Making changes can screw things up in bracket racing :)

Kinda depends on the car also... 13sec pass can have a lot of data ;)

Now if I could just get that beta...
S

Setting TPS

Ken,
I have the old version of turbo link. How do you set the TPS for 1/4 mile passes. I would like for it to start when the TPS is all the way open ( 4.55???) full trottle.

Im still learning new things with this.

Thanks in advance

Go to:

Preferences

then

Record Trigger

then

Choose Throttle Voltage

then enter a number for volts (i.e. 3.56)

I suggest you put it around 4. volts so that it triggers at anywhere near WOT.

Have fun! :)

Ken,

I just got ahold of a laptop battery (FINALLY) and will be buying a scantool soon. I am almost definitely going with TurboLink. Reading this post, and the 1.7 frames per second bit, does that mean Turbo Link takes a data sample 1.7 times per second (every 0.6 seconds)?? If so that's a whole lotta samples with my car, in the quarter mile ;)
I appreciate any help! The demo looks cool (for both versions) and I 've been getting the email updates. Now if that next version will just run on a tired old 486... :D

It's actually a frame of 25 bytes (which contain about 40 different parameters, if you count the on/off type flags like gear position, TCC, A/C, Cruise, etc.) every 1.25 seconds (plus or minus).

It's about 160 baud (again plus or minus) which isn't really fast by modern standards, but it gets the job done. We're working on enhancements that will hopefully be released after we get 3.0 out the door that will allow for communications with cars that use the 8192 baud rate.

Thanks for the kind words!