Used oil pump housing and gears - keep / refurbish or junk?

Jan Larsson

Sorting some of my left over stuff from when I re-built my engine.

One question, I kept the old original oil pump housing and the gears; housing got some scoring but not that bad (but I guess it depends on how deep would be bad). Gears (stock size/length) look just fine to the eye.

So question is if it's worth keeping; can it be refurbished and re-used or should I just get rid of it?

I normally keep anything that can be used as spares but don't mind freeing up some space :)

Let me know your view; can post some pictures if that helps.

Good to keep, especially if GN original. Gears can be replaced or "refreshed". I like to glass bead the gears to "grab" the oil and move it better. Smooth the surface of the filter adapter on a piece of glass with wetsand paper, then set it up with proper end play using the shims/ gaskets from TA perf.

So yeah, keep it. :)

Or send it to me. ;)

Don't toss it. Throw it in the attic and forget it's there. Once day it'll be worth it's weight in gold.

Hey Jan,
Keep it for later use, Iv'e resurfaced lots if them. Throw the used gears away and DON"T glass bead new ones, sends lots of little particles threw the engine.

The critical area on the oil pump cavity is the side walls, this is where the pressure is generated.

A little scoring where the gears ride on what would be the top of the pocket will not noticeably affect oil pressure.

If you are preparing the cover for a fresh engine, spend the 20 bucks or so for a new set of gears as they do wear after many miles of use, and we do not sand blast them.

Jan,

A new gear kit is cheap and the cover is worth keeping.

It looks like there are mixed feelings about glass beading oil pump gears. It is written up in the Buick Motorsports book as a good practice. I also glass bead them being very careful about the media.. Glass only, #8 beads. ..........I also lap the flat surfaces then scotchbrite the teeth to avoid having any particles in the oil. I think is really depends on attention to getting stuff like this clean before assembly. I've done a lot of gears and other parts in many engine builds and I have never had a problem (knock on wood). I've never seen anything in the oil or bearings.

Thanks all much appreciated.

I'll clean up the oil pump cover and resurface it on a piece of glass as suggested. Looks to be a original GM one with the part number on it. The into my stash of spare parts it goes :)

I'll dump the gears.

I do have a new spare cover and new gears spare just in case so I'm good to go if something goes South lol.

Appreciate your views and help as always.

Jan

I have been wondering about this also. So when do the experts say it's time to get rid of a front cover? At what point are they junk? What does one look for in the gear pockets? A couple grooves and it's done?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back when you could buy them all day long for less than $100, you'd almost replace them on general principal.

Now that they've been discontinued for quite some time and extremely expensive, it's worth it to keep a halfway decent backup.

I'll run a used GM cover before a brand new chinese cover any day of the week.

Years from now people are going to be kicking themselves for tossing GM covers. Much like when you think back about buying new hoodliners for $98, black headlight bezels for $20, and GN centercaps for $13... now it's a high priced treasure hunt for good used ones.