URGENT Bad Trans? or Bad TC?

Dylan4570

video of noise here

I need to drive this for part of a friends wedding in 18 days. Do you guys think this is a torque converter noise? or a trans noise?

Motor is fresh and has good oil pressure. decided to romp on it a little on the way home and it shifted fine but started making this noise tonight.

Does it only make noise well in gear or is it making that noise all the time?

Mine only did it in gear an trying to build boost. If you had a thetiscope you can also listen from the tranny case

when i crawl around underneath it while its running, it really sounds like the torque converter

You sure you don’t have an exhaust leak at the pass side cross over? I can see exhaust in the video.

Unless you have an valve cover oil leak. Doesn’t sound like flywheel or converter bolts. How does it drive & shift?

You sure you don’t have an exhaust leak at the pass side cross over? I can see exhaust in the video.

Unless you have an valve cover oil leak. Doesn’t sound like flywheel or converter bolts. How does it drive & shift?
shifts and drive like it always did. trans was bad for downshifting when hot. it would downshift late and the car will buck a bit. converter (i think) would make a rattling noise when in drive on the brakes but not when in neutral.

Well I’ll let the more seasoned pros get into the trans issue. You say fluid looks good & drives fine.

You should make sure you have no leaks as something is leaking exhaust or otherwise in the video.

Make sure that the TV cable is set correctly as well.

ordered a fti converter and a front pump rebuild kit. Will inspect the pump. my guess is the converter is dying and sending pieces of debris through the trans. i will do a fluid flush as well.

My 200 was making a ticking noise as well. Initially only in park or neutral and only after the trans came up to operating temp . As it got worse, it would tick while in gear and while the fluid was cold. It didn't seem to affect driveability but checked the flexplate, converter bolts anyway and they were tight. Fast forward to now, about a month ago I was taking the car out for a spin and discovered I had no 1st, 2nd or 3rd gears. Only OD and reverse. Ticking noise is gone so the suspicion is either the TC or something internal to the trans. This is a CK build and Pat's 3200 so its probably apples / oranges to what you have but I'm wondering now if it was the TC and it started to puke into the trans. I'm in the process of doing a TH400 swap as a result and am waiting for my PTC to arrive. I will probably have someone go through the 200 afterwards to find root cause but will watch this thread to see how you make out.

well i got anxious so i left work a little early and got the trans ready to come out aside from the bellhousing bolts now. waiting on a unijoint then it will come out. tonight. converter spacing was good.

enjoyed a nice bath in atf.

well its out. knuckles are not doing too hot. almost nothing on the magnet.

do I dare open the pump? I will probably look while its out. but I have to buy an alignment tool. unless anyone has had good luck with just using a hose clamp.

any thoughts, opinions, or anecdotes for how to proceed?

20220727_184310.jpg
20220727_184316.jpg
20220727_184730.jpg

Was there any sparkles in there? I've always used a hose clamp. When mine died & I pulled the pan it looked like anti seize.