Update on my stolen 85....

TType85

TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
My 85 was stolen 2/17/04 from in front of my house.

I got a call yesterday from AAA (my insurance carrier) and they said the settlement for the car was as follows:

Value of car: $10,000
Sales Tax: $775
Remainder of Registration: $60
Less my deductable: -$100
Total: $10,735

I'm surprised they came up with this as their first offer, I thought I was going to have to fight to get what the car was worth. Needless to say I am happy with this offer. I still miss my 85 though :(

Now for the hard part, finding a replacement. It won't be a turbo regal this time. I'm not going to go through this for a third time... (86 GN stolen 1/2000). I'll get another TR once I move out of this area.

I'm looking at 97+ Regal GS and Grand Prix GTPs as a possible replacement, their pretty stout for a family car and can be modified pretty easy. I'm also looking at some mid 90's BMW 540's (a 6-speed on in particular).

What other cars would be good to look at? I'm looking for a) a good amount of power b) comfortable and c) under $10,000.

wow that is a good settlement considering allot of insurance co's try to gig ya. Did you have it appraised or are they just going on NADA?

The Regal GS's really are nice.

I had a 97.5 that was an excellent car. 28MPG on the Highway, and with a pulley and Air Filter it was going 14.5's!

Very nice ride, you will not get hassled by the police, and its a sleeper!

Originally posted by aperrego
wow that is a good settlement considering allot of insurance co's try to gig ya. Did you have it appraised or are they just going on NADA?

They go by what they are selling for in the area usually. I have not seen any 85 T-Types for sale for a while so they may have gone by the NADA value which has a max of like 11K, Kelly Blue Book was a bit lower.

At least they didn't make a bad situation even worse. I agree that a Gtp would make an excellant replacement.:D

Originally posted by GotBoost?
At least they didn't make a bad situation even worse. I agree that a Gtp would make an excellant replacement.:D

What did you do to your GTP to get it into the 12s? Was that on race gas or pump?

It was on race fuel using a 2.9 pulley, which I used for daily driving. The car had alot of money into it, but 13's can be had cheaply.

Originally posted by GotBoost?
It was on race fuel using a 2.9 pulley, which I used for daily driving. The car had alot of money into it, but 13's can be had cheaply.

Well, looking around I have found some 98's as cheap as $6000, that would leave 4K for mods :)

How about this
3" pully
ZZP Intercooler
Modded ECM
Trans +
Exhaust system
Cold air intake
plus all the little stuff (colder plugs, 180 thermostat, etc)

$11k for an 85 hot air t type,sounds like ebay prices to me:eek:

Thats really good.:)

Be sure if you get a sc car(ie Buick,preferably black in color:D ) be sure to look at 1 of Razors alcohol kits to run any kind of REAL boost on pump gas.Youll have the ultimate sleeper.:)

Headers are very important, so be sure to get them. Might want to think about going with a cam, especially if you can do the install yourself.

But those mods should have you in the high 12's with a good launch.

Originally posted by broke1
$11k for an 85 hot air t type,sounds like ebay prices to me:eek:

Thats really good.:)

Be sure if you get a sc car(ie Buick,preferably black in color:D ) be sure to look at 1 of Razors alcohol kits to run any kind of REAL boost on pump gas.Youll have the ultimate sleeper.:)

Technically it wasn't a hot-air :) I converted it to a 86/7 setup....

I'm thinking of Alcohol or Propane to help quell knock.

]Originally posted by GotBoos?
Headers are very important, so be sure to get them. Might want to think about going with a cam, especially if you can do the install yourself.

But those mods should have you in the high 12's with a good launch.

I wonder if any of the headers are smog legal in california? I need to also find out if the intercooler for the SC is treated like the SC for turbo's (of no concerne for smog).

High 12's would make a nice street car.... :)

Chris,

Sounds like you made out again. I was really concerned that your insurance was going to give you the shaft since the car was an ' 85 and not a GN. Sorry it got stolen but at least the $10k will help you find something new to drive. I second the idea of buying a Regal GS. They are really sweet daily drivers.

Neal

Sorry to hear that your TR was stolen, but it looks like the insurance deal didn't go too bad. It could have been a lot worse.

Sorry about the loss, But as far as other cars to think about, I gotta recommend the good ole LT1 Camaro and TA. Plenty of power and the roar of a 8.

Yes, lt-1/ls-1 powered anything. Dont discount a 9C-1 Caprice or Impala SS. These are the toughest engines ive ever seen-there are Sheriffs cars here in ALA with 575000 miles on the lt-1s with nary a head off! Find one with 160 k miles , port heads, exhaust , pcm, convertr, and your in 13's for cheap. Trans is only weak spot but its easy to r/r compared to fwd. Not fuel finicky either.
Sorry some sob has your Buick.

I got the check yesterday from the insurance company. The paperwork showed how they came up with a 10K value for the car.

Since there have been so few 1985 T-Types sold in this area recently they got two quotes from local GM dealers. 1 was for 11K and one for 9K so they just took an average of that.

I have to say AAA has been more than fair with me. No hassles.

CHRIS....
I AM SAD :mad: THAT YOU CAR HAS BEEN STOLEN....MY T-TYPE HAS BEEN PEELED ON THE COLUMN 3 TIMES:mad: . I AM GLAD THAT YOU GOT A :cool: SETTLEMENT. I HAVE NOT HAD INSURANCE ON MY T TYPE IN YEARS. THAT IS WHY IT SITS BEHIND A TEN FOOT WOODED PRIVACY FENCE.;) I HATE TO HEAR YOU ARE GOING TO WAIT TO GET ANOTHER ONE. I HOPE YOU HAVE BETTER LUCK WITH YOUR NEXT ONE. ATLEAST TTYPE84 (NICK) GO HIS BACK.... hE IS IN TEXAS... SUNNY CALI IS DIFFERENT...DOWN SOUTH IN ALABAMA, YOU GOT A 60/40 CHANCE OF GETTING IT BACK! I AM SURE YOU NEXT CAR IS GOING TO BE SWEEETTT!!!:cool:

CHUCK

Hey Chuck,
Im in Birmingham too. Are you not on the road much with yur 85?
Hope to see ya around.

ThikStik
I am putting a new 87 long block in my T Type. It will still be HOT AIR for the moment. I am in graduate school (UAB) and don't get out much. I sometimes (once a month) get out to the "Nationals". But mostly I am disappointed :mad: (Too Many HOndas). I hope to get my car to Steele or either Lassiter Mountain by late summer. I also sometimes make the Sonic/Walmart cruises in Pelham/Trussville. Hopefully we will run into each other. My 85 T Type is Chestnut w/87 T Type wheels.

Chuck