Ummm... Uh Oh... (Front Cover Issue)

TType85

TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
Noticed a bad oil leak on my car, it looks like is actually coming from a hole on the timing cover next to the cam sensor. I *thought* there was a cap screw or plug in it but there isn't. So far other than the oil leak the car runs fine so I am wondering if it dropped through to the pan. Anyone else have this happen? I'm thinking I may need to pull the front cover to make sure everything is peachy and find the plug....

Cam Sensor.png

Probably in the pan.

Put a shallow screw that does not protrude into the cover with red loctite,or when you have the cover off have it welded.

just walked out to my car in garage, thats the cam hold down bolt... 13 or 15mm head and large black washer

cam sensor hold down bolt?!
Nope, thats there.

Probably in the pan.

Put a shallow screw that does not protrude into the cover with red loctite,or when you have the cover off have it welded.

I hope it is in the pan, will do an oil change this weekend and see if it finds its way out. anyone know what thread that piece would be?

That happened to me years back but I wasn't lucky. The set screw dropped into the timing gear snapping the chain and bent some valves. I bet yours made it to the oil pan already. Like the others said, just put a bolt into that hole.

I added an oil squirter, running it to the brass block where the turbo feed is.

ForumRunner_20120320_222234.png

Most of the aftermarket timing covers have a set screw installed with no locktite so there is nothing to keep it from falling in and doing damage. I used a bolt with loctite so its imposible to fall in.

Allan G.

Thanks all! I will get a bolt and locktite it in. Now to clean up a lot of oil :p

Nope, thats there.

I hope it is in the pan, will do an oil change this weekend and see if it finds its way out. anyone know what thread that piece would be?
Due to the design of the pan most likely it will not fall out with the oil,removal will be needed. This is for stocker only.

Due to the design of the pan most likely it will not fall out with the oil,removal will be needed. This is for stocker only.

This car has a stock pan that was modified to be a deep sump.

Just as a precaution I am going to pull the cover to make sure everything is OK. The motor has had a "tick" that I have not been able to find and I want to make sure it is not floating around in there. Such an asinine design to have that plug there.