UB Machine Tubular A-Arms

Mac in SD

Just FYI, I installed a set of UB Machine 14-0809 A-arms, and after one day's driving, I can report that they're.... great. EZ fit, used the same shims as my stockers, and the car rides and handles great. Oilite steel bushings with grease zerks, black powder coated.

Can't argue with the price: $54 each, plus around $35 for the ball joints.

Standing by for frowning "tut-tuts" from the GW and Hotchkiss aficianados.

So are these stock replacements or the longer ones to go with the B body spindles and 12" brakes? What ball joint do they use?

"Stock replacement." If you use the 14-0809 with taller spindles for the large brakes, they'll be too long (I got this info from the Monte SS board.) I think the 15-0809 part is shorter and goes with the taller spindles. UB machine knows the correct ball joint, and like I said, they're about $35.

The complete part number you want is 14-0809-5R. That's the right-hand arm (passenger side.) Just buy two of those, and flip one over. It's for the GM Metric frame.

http://www.montecarloss.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=18;t=001345

Any chance on getting the weight of these vs the stockers? :)

They are infinitely lighter than the stockers, because they're helium-filled. I had a hard time keeping the front tires on the road, which probably reduces rolling resistance, producing an estimated reduction of 3-tenths in E.T. :D :D :D

Actually, they are noticeably lighter than the stockers. However, I really bought them because the bushings won't burn out, and they're not all grungy and rusty like the stockers. :)

Guys, take 'em or leave 'em. Just wanted to let you-all know they're a viable and inexpensive alternative.

Thank you sir :)

**adds another part to the holiday shopping list**

:D

Thanks for the info, Mac. I asked about the ball joint because I thought that Robert Adams was using UB Machine arms in his kit, which requires the spindles to be reamed out for a larger ball joint. If the correct joint was available I'm just surprised he doesn't use that one. Have you ever held a Global West tubular control arm? Any comments on apparent heft, thickness, strength, quality of paint :)-) :))? The issue with the tzr arms someone else posted about a couple of weeks ago was strength - they just didn't look like they'd hold up to street driving, over potholes and curbs. I've held the GW arms and they feel very solid, and on one friend's car are holding up perfectly. However, $300 saved is $300 saved ... :).

Thats great news !! Now what if we supply them with the measurements for the lower A-arms. hmmmmmm...............

Carl, UB Machine does in fact make the control arms for the Robert Adams kits ( which use the taller spindle for the large brakes), as I understand it. But they do also have the proper ball joints for a bolt-up to the stock spindles - no reaming required.

I can't vouch for pothole strength. Time will tell, I guess, and I'll surely let everyone know if they fall apart. Then again, the pothole situation for a part-time driver in San Diego might be different that that of a daily driver in, say, Detroit. :D

I really recommend going to the Monte Carlo SS site, and reading all the articles there. I didn't see any posts indicating any strength-related issues, so I took a chance on the UB's.

So to clarify, 14-0809 is a direct replacement. Order these, ball joints (part number?) and you would be good to go?

I'd have to look throught the trash to find the balljoint part number...maybe I'll remember when I get home tonight. Although, if you call UB Machine to order the a-arms, they'll know the correct balljoint to go with them. The total bill was about $150 for arms and balljoints (the joints were about $35.)

But yes, they are a direct bolt-in for stock spindles. In fact, I used the shims that were on the original arms, and the car rides and handles perfectly (although I know I really should get the alignment checked.) They're on the car, which I drove to work today.

Originally posted by Mac in SD
"Stock replacement." If you use the 14-0809 with taller spindles for the large brakes, they'll be too long (I got this info from the Monte SS board.) I think the 15-0809 part is shorter and goes with the taller spindles. UB machine knows the correct ball joint, and like I said, they're about $35.

The complete part number you want is 14-0809-5R. That's the right-hand arm (passenger side.) Just buy two of those, and flip one over. It's for the GM Metric frame.

http://www.montecarloss.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=18;t=001345

OK, I'm confused. Why wouldn't you use a RH and LH part instead of two RH parts? I went to the UB website and they seem to offer both? I'm no suspension expert - just trying to learn.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim, I ain't no expert, either. I jsut followed the advice from the Monte SS board. I'm pretty sure it's because of something to do with circle-trackers and their suspension tuning, and the LH arm is not symetrical with the RH. The RH arm lengths are the same as a stocker. HTH.

Hey Mac,

Now that you've lived with the UB control arms for a few weeks what are your impressions?

Also, and chance you could weigh those stock control arms so we could figure out how much lighter the UB arms are?

Thanks,

Jim

Jim, the super-accurate bathroom scale results indicate that the two stock UCAs add up to 19 lbs combined - so 9.5 lbs each.

My semi-calibrated memory says that the UB's are roughly equivalent in weight, maybe a little bit lighter...

That said, car rides and handles like new with the new arms. Of course, both the bushings in the pax-side arm were gone. In fact the old rear bushing was an experimental "air" ride. I guess it rode okay, but sure did "clank" when turning into a driveway. :D :D :D

The biggest positives for the UB's are, IMHO, the reduction in mass (lots more room between the headers and the arms), and the steel bushings that just won't melt away. They don't seem to affect ride quality at all. As far as handling...well, I've been without a front swaybar, and running skinnies, for some time now. So somebody else would have to give you hard-cornering opinions. :D HTH.

Actually, they are noticeably lighter than the stockers.

My semi-calibrated memory says that the UB's are roughly equivalent in weight, maybe a little bit lighter...

:confused:

Originally posted by TransAm WS6 420
:confused:

I... I... I DON'T KNOW!!!! I CONFESS!!!! I didn't weigh them first!

Gimme a break, huh? I didn't know I was going to be questioned as a hostile witness.

Okay, what I meant was they're a little lighter, but it's not like they're made of titanium. They're in the ballpark. "Semi-calibrated memory," remember? :) Sorry. Thats the best I can do.

lol, it's all good. I'm just curious.... UBMachine can tell me how much they weigh, but I don't think it matters a whole lot. I reckon I'll be ordering them :)