two questions about roll cages

Pablo

I have a 5 point in my car and I wanted to know if its just there for decoration at this point

First off, I've always thought that I needed to get padding for it, I thought I heard somewhere that the NHRA requires padding for any part of the bar that can touch the driver. True? Also, is there a spec on padding

Second question, what is the guidance on welds and attachment points. It looks like my cage (was in there when i bought it) is just welded to the floorpan in the front, and in the back, has the four points sort of welded to a plate which is welded to the floorpan. Its an S&w cage btw.

Sort of a side question, the front driverside door bar doesnt have a weld bead all the way around the floor mounting point, actually its welded like 2/3'ds to 1/2 of the way. Looks like they couldnt fit a welding gun in there maybe. Is this thing just along for the ride? Or would that actually be certifiable, and doest it even matter really considering its not tied into the frame?

On all G-body cars including your regal the roll bar has to be welded to the frame of the car. Holes have to made in the floor and the cage must run through the floor and attache to the frame.

Charlie is correct. On a "full frame" car, which G-bodys are considered, The roll bar must be welded to the frame.
As far as the padding goes, it must be padded wherever its possible for your helmet to hit. HTH.

All above is correct and the padding dose need to be sfi aproved and as for welds they have to be complete wherever tubing meets including the frame. It would need to be a 6 point for 11.50 to 10.00 or a 8 point from 9.99 to 8.50 and I think they now what a funny car cage around driver 8.49 and quicker. If this was a subframe car you would need plates welded to the floor pan then tubing to that. Go to a speed shop and pick up a nhra rule book and you will see all the other things that go with a roll bar / cage :eek:

good luck