two antenna questions

nwarky

Went out to the garage the other evening and to my surprise I heard a whirring sound coming from my GN. Seems that for no apparent reason the power antenna motor was working. I was lucky from the perspective that this didn't happen elsewhere to totally drain the battery etc, yet what is the explanation? Did the relay go bad? I assume the dreaded nylon cable is now toast too. Therefore the second question. Does the cable from the antenna to the radio also fit the fixed mast antenna from those cars or does that cable need replacing if I convert from the power antenna to the fixed antenna? Thanks for the help.

Dean

can anybody tell me how to bench test the power antenna . also whats the easiest way to remove and repair and replace the power antenna from a 86 gn thanks for the help

I remember Loosening the fender pulling the mast bolt and a hanger bolt. I could be wrong but I remember getting the antenna from Pep Boys for like 40$ and 40 minutes to change it....

Thanks. I will. Check. That out. After I figure out how. To. Bench test. It

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I doubt Pep Boy would have an exact electric antenna the GN uses, if any it might be one of those universal type to which it won't fit property. What is wrong with your existing one?
Check this print to troubleshoot

Attachments

• electric antenna installation.pdf
    769.4 KB · Views: 195
It was a universal but it mounted fine. No issues at all. The Antenna was a little bit longer though.

GN Power Antenna Repair or Replacement?
1986 GN.

Got my repair kit from Glen at Highway Stars, http://www.nos4gn.com/servlet/StoreFront , 847-599-1600, customer_service@nos4gn.com. Instructions come with the reproduction kit. See Pics below. This kit is excellent! I also bought the NOS finial, or antenna tip to go with it from Highway for Stars, since the kit comes with a generic finial tip.
If you remove your old antenna tip or finial, use WD-40 or pentrating oil to help get it loose. You will need a vice or vice grips to hold the mast, plus use something rubber to prtect the antenna from the vice grips.

Call Highway Stars Buick Grand National Parts 847-599-1600 for the repair kit or the full mast if your mast is bent!

Antenna Repair Sequence.JPG
Replacement.JPG
Repair.JPG
Install.JPG
Antenna Repair Sequence.JPG
Replacement.JPG
Repair.JPG
Install.JPG