Twin turbo question

434nova

I know this is probably a simple answer but here is my question. When running 30 #s of boost with twin turbo does that mean each turbo is producing 15 #s for a total of 30#s or does it mean each turbo is pushing 30#s of boost. Thanks

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

depends on how you are measuring, if it is at the manifold, would the MAP sensor be the source of the pressure? If so, then it would be combined.

I know this is probably a simple answer but here is my question. When running 30 #s of boost with twin turbo does that mean each turbo is producing 15 #s for a total of 30#s or does it mean each turbo is pushing 30#s of boost. Thanks

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

It would depend on what kind of twin turbo setup .. the turbo locations and mounting arrangement will vary the answer to your question.

Maybe an expert like Bison will jump in but I don't think each turbo is "producing" 15 psi. They are both putting out equal amounts of air (cfm) which creates pressure (psi). Then if you really want to complicate it we could throw compound turbo system into the mix??

pressures will be the same (30 psi) and each will do half the flow...assuming the inlet pipe and outlet pipings have equal friction loss AND they combine into a common plenum. If you vary the piping system, the pressure's at the turbo will vary accordingly to reflect any additional losses, but where they combine they pressure will be 30 psi.

There turbo's will need to be sized for that application as well. Just because you add a turbo, doesn't mean you get twice the flow....

Nate