Twin Turbo Buick Electra Land Speedster

electragsx

Here are some photos of the 1,000 HP Buick "SMILODON" 430. Rear mount Turbonetics P-72 ball bearing turbos, God Speed Intercoolers in the back seat, Billet Blow Off Valves, Cast Iron Wategates. It has billet Rods, Forged JE Pistons, Clevite Bearings, Halo Girdle, Roller Rockers, port-matched fuel injection GSX high rise aluminum manifold, port matched and flowed oil pump, from TA Performance, Rectangular Port STAGE I Heads, lots of flow work, Titanium Valves, Ceramic coated combustion chambers, valve faces, exhaust runners and all the the BBB oiling modifications straight from master Buick engine builder Scotty Guadagno!

It took 3 years to design, fabricate the engine parts from scratch, assemble and test. Another year to figure out the final rear mount twin turbo intercooler setup. (Took 11 years to build the car, custom built from NASCAR Cup Suspension to hand fabbed A Arms) Both Buick and the Tuskegee Airmen use the big cat to represent themselves. SMILIDON is the Saber Tooth Tiger! Our Buick engine is a 1,000 HP Wildcat with longer teeth!!! (425 HP @ 9:1)

Bob Reem, of 'Imagine Injection' is a true artist. He has photos of his setups on the wall in his massive shop that look like fine art rather than car parts!
Bob is doing the final plumbing on the Electra GSX in Phoenix, Arizona, where she awaits the Silver State Classic Challenge in 2 weeks.

Pictures by electragsx - Photobucket

God Speed!

Here are some photos of the 1,000 HP Buick "SMILODON" 430. Rear mount Turbonetics P-72 ball bearing turbos, God Speed Intercoolers in the back seat, Billet Blow Off Valves, Cast Iron Wategates. It has billet Rods, Forged JE Pistons, Clevite Bearings, Halo Girdle, Roller Rockers, port-matched fuel injection GSX high rise aluminum manifold, port matched and flowed oil pump, from TA Performance, Rectangular Port STAGE I Heads, lots of flow work, Titanium Valves, Ceramic coated combustion chambers, valve faces, exhaust runners and all the the BBB oiling modifications straight from master Buick engine builder Scotty Guadagno!

It took 3 years to design, fabricate the engine parts from scratch, assemble and test. Another year to figure out the final rear mount twin turbo intercooler setup. (Took 11 years to build the car, custom built from NASCAR Cup Suspension to hand fabbed A Arms) Both Buick and the Tuskegee Airmen use the big cat to represent themselves. SMILIDON is the Saber Tooth Tiger! Our Buick engine is a 1,000 HP Wildcat with longer teeth!!! (425 HP @ 9:1)

Bob Reem, of 'Imagine Injection' is a true artist. He has photos of his setups on the wall in his massive shop that look like fine art rather than car parts!
Bob is doing the final plumbing on the Electra GSX in Phoenix, Arizona, where she awaits the Silver State Classic Challenge in 2 weeks.

Pictures by electragsx - Photobucket

God Speed!

Very Nice Car!!!

Great looking car. I love it when people build a car detroit didn't.

The Silver State challenge is a little on the boring side, but is worth doing once.

The Big Bend open road race in Texas is way more fun for a car like this with elevation changes and lots of wide, smooth turns.

Not quite as nice or as much power.
This is my son-in-laws.
The carburator & fuel pump cost more than the car.
One GN turbo is off my car & the other is from RossT he bought off this board.
He is still getting in tuned in and said the video was not @ WOT.

Project Green Machine Pics (Video added)

This is my note to my Buddy who has raced Caddy's for decades!

Don,

You remember that green Caddy from back in the day? Well, you gotta see this twin turbo Green Grizzly Bear Cadillac. It is awe inspiring.

BqUICK

Thanks man! I appreciate it! Boy, it sure was ugly when I started. People laughed and made fun of my car no end! It took me 30 years but I finally made a silk purse out a sow's ear!

Big bend sounds really cool. What is the route?

Bend Bend Races between the towns of Fort Stockton and Sanderson, TX. It's 59 miles each way with 10 mile straights, but also hills and corners with lots of run off room. Lots of places to feel like you are really going fast and not have to worry about exceeding the 168 mph tech speed.

It's also 2 way race, with the back leg being easier than the down leg so you can have fun going down and dial your speed and time in at the finish to get real close to placing in the trophies.

On a one way run like the Silver State, you have to use the force to hit your speed perfectly and there is no room for error... and the guys you run against are all lifers that run within .2 Seconds every year. It's very hard for a first or second timer to trophy at the SSC, but good luck and I hope you prove me wrong.

Here is the BBORR website: BBORR.com. The race is always in April and usually has around 150 cars.

Tee Shirt Image of the Faithful Pursuit Buick

We worked for a while on coming up with the right image to represent the '69 Buick Electra and the P-47 Thunderbolt inspiration.

Her turbo setup is based on the P-47's rear mount design. Although the "new thing" today, the setup has been around for a long time.

The big cat is the symbol for both Buick high performance and the Tuskegee Airmen's 332nd Fighter Group.

Attachments

• Faithful-Pursuit-T-Shirt.jpg
    Faithful-Pursuit-T-Shirt.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 487
Our major sponsor won the first USAF Gunnery Meet in Las Vegas back in 1949. The actual goal is to do a 194.9 mph high speed pass in the same area.

I ran the course last year in a rental on my own time. It's a nice Sunday drive and I like the surroundings and how 100 mph feels like 65! I really am not focused on the rest of the stuff.

It is so tough and expensive to go unlimited, but we are trying really hard.

Not to sound negative, but I seriously doubt the SSC will let you run Unlimited until you or the car have run in the 150 mph at least once.

If they did, everybody would be running in the unlimited. 10 years ago, sure, but today, no way.

Just this year there was an "incident" in the unlimited division at an open road race in Nevada that resulted in the crash of one of the race promoters. All of the cars and drivers involved in the "incident" had been around ORR's and were all known quantities (all of the cars involved had been clocked on radar at 210+ before) and yet a blown tire on one car resulted in a lot of torn up sheet metal, a red flag and hundreds of people had to wait hours while the mess was cleaned up.

Don't take it personally if they don't let you run unlimited. You may want to run it a Maxton or the Texas mile or in the 150 class at SCC to see how high the nose lifts at speed (the radar board guy takes great pictures) because my guess it will be considerable. You'll likely want to do something about reducing the lift before trying for 200 mph.

Sscc

Yes, you certainly are correct. The provisions in the SSCC sanctioning body will be followed. No members of our team will violate those guidelines. Steve Waldman and I have discussed this entry over the past five years and we are fairly clear on things.

Hey, a guy can dream...can't he? We will make a showing to represent our cause and have a good time! (Nice Pontiac 2+2 by the way!)

Attachments

• Tuskegee Airmen 233.jpg
    Tuskegee Airmen 233.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 404
Electra Racing Heritage

Scotty Guadagno's 11 Second 1970 Electra Article
Buick Performance Fans,

Here is an Electra Build up article. Its a bit dated but shows one of the greatest heavy weight champions in the game. The Guadagdo Pee Gee Performance, Inc. Electra from Brooklyn, New York. The car is long gone but not forgotten!

New Page 2

COTTON's Performance

When we originally installed the turbo's we ran a 1/4" oil line back 15 feet or so on this huge Electra. It seemed to work pretty well, of course there were no loads on the P-72 Turbonetics ball bearing turbo-superchargers.

Bob Ream at Imagine injection installed the new oiling system and now we have a pretty severe leak. I'm in Amarillo, TX now, after 1,670 miles, and will be in Phoenix this afternoon. In the mean time I'll talk to Jack Cotton to see what he has to say.

He will probably recommend a bigger return line but may want us to check the actual line pressure to the turbo, which should be about 25-30psi. Bob and I will sort it out with Cotton while I'm on the road.

We are just a few days from the Silver State Classic Challenge, with serious manpower deficit. My crew is back at school and my driver has a heart problem; that's what happens when you recruit from both ends of the age spectrum!

We have a new driver who has Indy and other experience, I'll interview him and he will check out the car when we arrive in Vegas on Wed.

God Speed!

Imagine Injection

I probably could not say enough good thiings about Imagine Injection. First of all, the work for TA Performance, doing all their fuel injection system work.

Bob Ream and I worked the whole day on getting the fuel injected twin- turbo oiling system working. I had hoped that grav feed back to the sump was enough but no dice.

Each turbo needed it's own line AND pump. Bob ordered the pump, Next Day Air, but it did not get to Phoenix until about closing time!

Well, long after all his people went home, Bob and I were putting this thing together and got done about 3 hours ago! I stayed at the hotel he recommended, $35 a night and a nice place in Phoenix.

We also identified some safety issues with the car. Just working with these guys was worth the 5,500 mile round trip.

Finally, after 25 years of dreaming about it, I'll have my twin turbo-supercharged, fuel injected 1969 Buick Electra GSX STAGE 1!!!

Call Bob at Imagine Injection. If you can imagine it, he can inject it! 602-272-6474 Imagine Injection - "Home of Quality High Performance Fuel Injection Systems"

God Speed,

VEGAS and Silver State Classic

Imagine Injection really did a complete job of getting the Faithful Pursuit Buick ready to run with her new turbos. The layout seems to work very well although there is a bit of turbo lag, given the many feet of piping. Inlet temps remained at about 140F due to the long piping and rear mount intercoolers.

STS Turbo return pumps, new relays, larger turbo oil inlet piping, oil restriction fittings, additional return line, Aluminum firewall in front of and behind turbos, new Yellow top Optima Battery, license plate area mounted kill switch, FAST box installation and wiring, about 6-8 hours of dyno testing.

We dyno tuned the car and good some good RWH numbers at relatively low boost. The plug color looked good as we built up power. There was a lot of work that needed to be done and it was the most expensive "tune up" I ever bought.

I covered more than 15 states, drove 5,500 miles, and slept im my truck more times than in the past 10 years!

I did not participate in the SSCC because the car was not ready for competition, I found a suspension problem and decided to keep our driver home. I did take it for a drive in the desert with a hard core Buick man named Randall, who I met in the little town of Ely.

We put down some numbers as the turbos kicked in strong at about 50 mph. Impressive rush of power even at low boost.

Turbos Mounting

I made the mistake of using spacers with NASCAR Modified racing rims. I broke 2 studs and replaced the rest in 2007.

Yesterday I replaced the G-8 axle flange bolts. All the G-8 bolts were bent. The new studs are Grade E Alloy 8740 and should stand up to 1,000 lb-ft of RW torque.

We will be ready to fly in the spring.