TV Cable Adjustment - four notches normal?

Raven

Here - watch THIS!
I had my transmission rebuilt by Vince Janis in Akron, including a 3200 stall converter and some billet parts. He did an awesome job and I'm happy with the performance.

However, the shifts have never felt quite right and I THINK it is because of the TV cable.

When I looked at the cable, it showed three 'notches'. So, I did the factory re-adjustment (pull to firewall, mat the pedal and let it ratchet to the factory position) which it did. But when I did that, the number of notches visible was now a little over 4. I repeated the process and it went to the same place.

I know that have more notches visible will firm up the shifts but is this going to be TOO aggressive?

My issue before was that the shifts seemed way too smooth. I do not want to drive it and hurt the transmission but does this seem normal (four exposed notches)? If so, I'll fire it up and take it for a spin; like I said, I just do not want to hurt the transmission.

IF 4 notches are too much, what are you guys seeing? Also, if 4 is too much, what will I see/feel? WILL it tear up the tranny?

Thanks in advance for all replies.

On mine where it self adjusted, the shifts were too soft and didn't kickdown very well. After talking to the guy who did my trans, he stated that it is fine to self adjust it 1-2 notches further out than where it self adjusts too. I think mine is at 5 or 6 notches exposed, if I recall correctly. Much firmer shifts, and I am very pleased with how my tranny operates. Hope that helps.

Actually, the less notches showing the firmer and later the shifts will be. If you were to let it self adjust the correct way as your baseline, if you then manually adjusted it in towards the firewall it would make the shifts firmer and later and if you were to adjust it away from the firewall with more of the adjuster notches showing it would shift softer and sooner.

Actually, the less notches showing the firmer and later the shifts will be. If you were to let it self adjust the correct way as your baseline, if you then manually adjusted it in towards the firewall it would make the shifts firmer and later and if you were to adjust it away from the firewall with more of the adjuster notches showing it would shift softer and sooner.

I don't think this is what I have read everywhere else.

Pulling the housing towards the firewall exposes more notches and creates firmer shifts according to the adjustment procedures I've read on here as well as links to procedural websites. Having the housing too far 'forward'/less notches showing actually creates softer, sooner shifts.

I did the adjustment procedure twice and it gave me more notches showing than I had. Before, I had soft, early shifts but I have not taken the car out yet. I'm doing that this morning and will post back the changes.

Ok, I just got back from a lengthy drive with different adjustments made. I ended up with 4 notches showing and no extra space between the notch closest to the adjustment housing. I ended up moving the housing one click forward (toward the radiator).

With the setting at the adjusted position per the procedure, the shifts were far too brutal and took the shift too long to complete. WOT shifts felt too late and nearly bumped the rev limiter and moderate acceleration shifts took forever to make the 3-4 shift. When the 3/4 shift was made, it was particularly harsh.

Moving the housing only one click (NOT a notch) forward changed the behavior completely. The 1/2 shift is still fairly brutal and will break the tires loose, making the car skate sideways under moderately heavy acceleration with the 2/3 being very, very firm and the 3/4 shift coming in where it should.

Normal acceleration still results in firm, crisp shifts that still snap your head back but they are not uncomfortable nor do they still feel like they might rip the drive shaft out of the car. The factory setting was just too much in my opinion.

I'm satisfied. The next test will be at the track.

Raven...

I am having the same issue and was stuck out of town trying to adjust on the fly. could you PLEASE post a picture where the correct setting of the T.V. cable? Thanks in advance.

Ok, I just got back from a lengthy drive with different adjustments made. I ended up with 4 notches showing and no extra space between the notch closest to the adjustment housing. I ended up moving the housing one click forward (toward the radiator).

With the setting at the adjusted position per the procedure, the shifts were far too brutal and took the shift too long to complete. WOT shifts felt too late and nearly bumped the rev limiter and moderate acceleration shifts took forever to make the 3-4 shift. When the 3/4 shift was made, it was particularly harsh.

Moving the housing only one click (NOT a notch) forward changed the behavior completely. The 1/2 shift is still fairly brutal and will break the tires loose, making the car skate sideways under moderately heavy acceleration with the 2/3 being very, very firm and the 3/4 shift coming in where it should.

Normal acceleration still results in firm, crisp shifts that still snap your head back but they are not uncomfortable nor do they still feel like they might rip the drive shaft out of the car. The factory setting was just too much in my opinion.

im with follow me22 ...could you post a pic ..

i just bought my car and tranny is all rebuilt mine shifts very violent and sometimes it seems like forever to shift into another gear like i have to mash the gas in order for it to shift ...and sometimes on a down shift it shifts hard going back into first

im with follow me22 ...could you post a pic ..

i just bought my car and tranny is all rebuilt mine shifts very violent and sometimes it seems like forever to shift into another gear like i have to mash the gas in order for it to shift ...and sometimes on a down shift it shifts hard going back into first

take out a click or 2 (toward the radiator exposing more notches) this will soften the shifts and make it shift sooner.