Turning harmonic balancer

86 GN DDR

I'm getting ready to install a new cam sensor/cap using he Casper cam tool. What is the easiest way to turn the harmonic balancer with so I can rotate it to 25 degrees ATDC.
Thanks

The easiest way i have always done it is with an 1 1/8'' socket on the balancer bolt. I suppose you could use the flexplate to turn it also if you have a stock location intercooler thats in the way.

The easiest way i have always done it is with an 1 1/8'' socket on the balancer bolt. I suppose you could use the flexplate to turn it also if you have a stock location intercooler thats in the way.

Remove the spark plugs and serpentine belt first;)

I have never removed the spark plugs or belt while turning the engine over by hand using a ratchet and socket,but of course it should make it some what easier but not necessary as easy as it is with them installed.

I just place my floor jack behind the driver side front tire and lifting on the frame i jack the car up a little to give me a bit of room to crawl under the front of the car and with a 1/2'' ratchet and 1 1/8'' socket placed on the balancer bolt it doesn't take much effort to turn the crank/balancer to TDC. Make sure you have the engine on #1 cylinder TDC on the compression stroke and then turn it to 25 degrees ATDC before you install the cam sensor. Piece of cake and no extra time needed to remove anything.

This is just how i do it and may be because i'm lazy.

Last edited:
I have never removed the spark plugs or belt while turning the engine over by hand using a ratchet and socket,but of course it should make it some what easier but not necessary as easy as it is with them installed.

I just place my floor jack behind the driver side front tire and lifting on the frame i jack the car up a little to give me a bit of room to crawl under the front of the car and with a 1/2'' ratchet and 1 1/8'' socket placed on the balancer bolt it doesn't take much effort to turn the crank/balancer to TDC. Make sure you have the engine on #1 cylinder TDC on the compression stroke and then turn it to 25 degrees ATDC before you install the cam sensor. Piece of cake and no extra time needed to remove anything.

This is just how i do it and may be because i'm lazy.

that's too simple.. you need to use some sort of special TB only tools and a weird procedure that involves the alignment of the stars and what not..

For the OP, get the appropriate size socket for the alternator pulley nut and pinch the serpentine belt around the alternator pulley to put some extra tension/grab in it. Use the ratchet and advance the motor over while pinching the serpentine belt. No need to jack the car up, etc.

For the OP, get the appropriate size socket for the alternator pulley nut and pinch the serpentine belt around the alternator pulley to put some extra tension/grab in it. Use the ratchet and advance the motor over while pinching the serpentine belt. No need to jack the car up, etc.
What he said...

You now have a few ideas / ways to get the balancer rotated to get the cam sensor installed and set properly. Be sure to update us on your progress,or if you need any other info/help. Good luck with keeping the buick running great.

This only works if you have the alternator power steering Pump, serpentine belt installed some people don't have all of that installed at that point when they are installing the cam sensor. Turning the crank is the easiest way I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turning the balancer is not that easy for us with SLIC. Can't get to the balancer bolt with the intercooler fan on. Go with the alternator and go slow to bleed off the compression.

Never EVER crawl under a car with just a floor jack holding it up......EVER! A 3600 Buick will pop your Mellon like a grape with a hammer. Serious dose of dumb doing that. Please everyone, use a jack stand too. I have had cars fall on me a few times over the years and was lucky that I had positioned myself so I could get out/away before death.
Another way to turn the engine over is by pulling on the IC fan if the car still has it. Wear gloves because it can be sharp.