Turbonetics turbos

Bobs rare 6

A buddy of mine is replacing his older T70 ballbearing with the new 70 with F1 /65. He was told that there is a F1/68 also, but not for the Buick setup. He is going to talk to Jack Cotton tomorrow. Also what is the wastegate hole size on this new turbo? Will be used on Internal wastegate. What is the prefered size to prevent boost creep? Thanks, Bob.

A buddy of mine is replacing his older T70 ballbearing with the new 70 with F1 /65. He was told that there is a F1/68 also, but not for the Buick setup. He is going to talk to Jack Cotton tomorrow. Also what is the wastegate hole size on this new turbo? Will be used on Internal wastegate. What is the prefered size to prevent boost creep? Thanks, Bob.

I have an 80 trim. At 750+hp i used a 1.10" hole. I was backpressure limited to 26psi with a heavy wastegate spring and a lot of tension on the rod. If hes interested in an 80 trim ex with a 70mm compressor PM me. Ive got a new one (not a reman) with a 4" in 2.5" out comp cover and .85 Precision ex housing.

Hey, I'm the guy Bob was talking about. I've been into cars forever but I'm new to turbo Buicks so I appreciate any and all help. Turbonetics has dropped their "S" and "P" trim designations and replaced them with F165 and F168. Then they said that the F168 is not available for the Buick 3 bolt housings? My old setup is fried, it was a 70mm bb with a P trim and an a/r .63 housing. They want to put me into a 70mm bb with the F165 and an a/r .82 housing. Supposedly they have redesigned the compressor wheel and also the turbine. Any thoughts? I'm interested in your turbo setup. What would you want for it? Thanks, John.

Hey, I'm the guy Bob was talking about. I've been into cars forever but I'm new to turbo Buicks so I appreciate any and all help. Turbonetics has dropped their "S" and "P" trim designations and replaced them with F165 and F168. Then they said that the F168 is not available for the Buick 3 bolt housings? My old setup is fried, it was a 70mm bb with a P trim and an a/r .63 housing. They want to put me into a 70mm bb with the F165 and an a/r .82 housing. Supposedly they have redesigned the compressor wheel and also the turbine. Any thoughts? I'm interested in your turbo setup. What would you want for it? Thanks, John.

They can call them whatever they want just like Precision calls then GTQ/GTS or HPQ/HPS. The GTQ starts as a GTS and is machined down to fit a 3 bolt housing. The HPQ is a HPS that has been machined down. Both t-netics and Precision both start with the same ex wheels. If they dropped the large wheel from being available to the Buick guys with 3 bolts shame on them. Probably because they have to use a Precision ex housing since theres will wind up to thin hear the top of the area where the ex exits the housing. I have 2 large turbine 3 bolt t-netics turbos. Its quite obvious they are the large turbine since the turbine sticks out the end of the housing. What i have is the real deal. Not a small 76 or 65 trim wheel. Its the 68 or 80 wheel for sure. PM sent

bison,the 65f1 also sticks out of the housing so i would imagine the bigger wheel like yours would come out quite a bit more.to my knowledge turbonetics still makes the s trim for our 3 bolts like you stated earlier just the name moves around.

bison,the 65f1 also sticks out of the housing so i would imagine the bigger wheel like yours would come out quite a bit more.to my knowledge turbonetics still makes the s trim for our 3 bolts like you stated earlier just the name moves around.
I called Cotton's yesterday and talked to John Cotton about all of this. He said exactly what Bison did, (Bison you really know your turbos!). Turbonetics used to build the turbos with the big turbine wheel for Cotton's. The problem was that there wasn't enough of a flange left after opening the housing up for the bigger wheel. In order to make it work they had to add material to the exhaust housing flange by welding and then re-machining it. Turbonetics complained that the welding hardened the steel and it was tearing up their tooling to re-machine it. Now Turbonetics only offers the turbos with the smaller F1/65 wheel for our application, not the F1/68. Cotton's still makes them with the F1/68 wheel though. They use the Precision exh. housings that have enough material. I've gotta say I'm impressed with Cotton's customer service. John took the time to explain everything to me, went over my combination, made recommendations, and even ended up matching the price Turbonetics offered me because my turbo wasn't rebuildable. They were great to deal with. I ended up getting a T70 ball bearing with the F1/68 turbine and a .65 Precision exh. housing. I thought about going with the .85 housing but John said they have guys running in the 9's ( faster than I'm going to go) with this exact setup and it will be a little more driveable. Besides I only had a Turbonetics .63 housing on my old setup and John said the Precision .65 is quite a bit bigger. Thanks again for all your help and for the turbo offer Bison. I appreciate it, John.

i had spoken with jack recently and he said he had them so i believed it was still offered we didn't speek about the turbonetics making the s-trim disappearing from the 3 bolt.sorry for the confusion.

i had spoken with jack recently and he said he had them so i believed it was still offered we didn't speek about the turbonetics making the s-trim disappearing from the 3 bolt.sorry for the confusion.

The names of the wheels dont really matter imo. S trim is still based of the full size wheel just like the HPQ/GTQ but has been altered to fit in the small 3 bolt housings. S trim should be the largest wheel you can get in a 3 bolt. The confusion left at this point is whether they are using the older 80 trim or the newer 68 trim wheel when calling it "S".

It was good speaking with you guys this week. Both Greg and John were a pleasure to deal with. We shared a lot of info back and forth, it's easy to miss something. It appears there may be a little confusion on the turbine wheels. In a nut shell, Turbonetics has the .65 and the .68 larger wheels available. I usually use the Turbonetics exhaust housing for the smaller .65 wheel and I use the PTE exhaust housing for the larger .68 turbine wheel. That's it in a nutshell. It is strictly a design in the Tnetics turbine housing that was not redesigned for the larger turbine wheels of today.

As for the PTE turbos, we have been selling the new design double ball bearings units also and look forward to speaking with our customers directly to ensure they order and receive the best turbo for their application. I have heard of several turbo customers out there recently selling and purchasing turbos based on bad info.... that sounds like money spent in the wrong place, when it could be used more wisely elsewhere. Since I am a distributor for both Turbonetics and Precision Turbo... makes no differance to me what a customer purchases. I just want to make sure they have all the info to make an educated decision... :cool: