Turbo sneeze, snort, surge etc

eduardo

G-Body87
Ok so I recently got myself a regal t type and everything was running good as far as I could tell ( not to much of a guru when it comes down to turbos or mods in general) but anyway I was up at a red light and finally gave it some thought to see how fast I could go from 0 to whatever and in doing so I noticed right around the moment I hit 60 or so from the light I let off the gas right away ( I know, a big mistake apparently, right?) . Well in doing so I starting hearing some chirp kind of noise and from what I've Hurd I've been told and have ruled it out as the term goes " turbo snort, turbo sneeze etc. my question is how can I get my car to sound normal again I'm not really liking this grumpy sound especially after knowing what it originally sounded like before. It's really eating at at me! Any help would be much appreciated!
Thanks,
Eduardo

Hi Eduardo, here are you options:

A. Never get into the turbo again.
B. Once you get into the turbo, never let off. Not recommended.
C. Redo your down pipe setup to include a Blow off Valve (BOV). That will be expensive.
D. Get used to the horse sneeze. That is the sound Buick gave it originally.

Personally, I love the horse sneeze as do many on this board. Heck, go read some of Meanchicken's stories in the Kill section. He intentionally "Horse sneezes" drivers in order to provoke them. I have even had import drivers ask how I got my BOV to sound that way.

Best of luck with your new ride.

Eduardo, are you saying that after that time you let out of it that it does this ALL THE TIME now?

Hi Eduardo, here are you options:

A. Never get into the turbo again.
B. Once you get into the turbo, never let off. Not recommended.
C. Redo your down pipe setup to include a Blow off Valve (BOV). That will be expensive.
D. Get used to the horse sneeze. That is the sound Buick gave it originally.

Personally, I love the horse sneeze as do many on this board. Heck, go read some of Meanchicken's stories in the Kill section. He intentionally "Horse sneezes" drivers in order to provoke them. I have even had import drivers ask how I got my BOV to sound that way.

Best of luck with your new ride.
Understood, thanks for that information but is there any other alternative, I mean could I somehow change it back to its original sound? Especially knowing that I had no problems with it until I floored it.?? Thanks again

Ok if its happening all the time then it is not the horse sneeze. Describe as best you can what the sound sounds like. Does it vary with rpm? Do you an oil pressure gauge on the car?

Ok if its happening all the time then it is not the horse sneeze. Describe as best you can what the sound sounds like. Does it vary with rpm? Do you an oil pressure gauge on the car?
Ok I'll try and describe it as best as I can! Im new to all of this so please bare with me. So the sound is like a rumbling kind of noise almost as if the car had no exhaust, kind of like a burpishh/ snorting noise. I've only had the car for two days now and want to say that up until now when the car would be in park the idle was consistent but soon after the problem I caused it kind of goes up and down as if I were giving it the slightest of gas I would say. That's really the best of a discription I can give you, I have the car in the garage I'll see if I can start it up and check the Rpms and oil pressure gauge in the morning and get back to you!
Thanks

Ok I'll try and describe it as best as I can! Im new to all of this so please bare with me. So the sound is like a rumbling kind of noise almost as if the car had no exhaust, kind of like a burpishh/ snorting noise. I've only had the car for two days now and want to say that up until now when the car would be in park the idle was consistent but soon after the problem I caused it kind of goes up and down as if I were giving it the slightest of gas I would say. That's really the best of a discription I can give you, I have the car in the garage I'll see if I can start it up and check the Rpms and oil pressure gauge in the morning and get back to you!
Thanks

Record it with your phone or whatever and post it on youtube. Put a link to the video in this thread.

Record it with your phone or whatever and post it on youtube. Put a link to the video in this thread.
Ok will do! By the way I have a cousin that is a mechanic that was with me when it happened, he says he feels/thinks it may be one of the lifters that is stuck judging from the sound of it. Don't know if that helps but that's all I got for you right now, I'll get to that video first thing in the morning and get back at you

Ok yeah come to find out after looking at it and feeling around there does seem to be some air escaping from the underside of the exhaust, I'ma have a friend of mine either weld it up have it clamped hopefully this will solve the problem, I still will have an ear open for anyone who thinks it may be something else so I do thank you all for your opinions, they do help

Yep. That sounds like an exhaust leak. COMMON problem with these cars. Factory headers? If so its only a matter of time before it happens. Search the tech forum and you will see the most common place(s) the leak occurs. The headers can be fixed or replaced if they are the culprit. Search as there are gazillions of threads about this. If you choose to have them fixed, have it done by someone competent with this repair......if it is the headers.

Ok so sorry for not getting back at y'all within the days you've given me some feed back, I've been pretty busy with work and haven't had the time to check those problems mentioned, plus I had a Vegas trip that I had scheduled for quite sometime that I went to this weekend so yea I've been sidetracked with things! But anyway I'm still debating on either taking the headers of myself (if it's even the headers that is the culprit) or taking it to a mechanic to get checked. I wanted to know if I do it myself would I be messing anything up When it would come down to me removing the turbo and all other piping and possibly wireing that would be in the way? And to "Ttype6" i felt around and checked the rubber intercooler and what I believe maybe the up pipe hoses you were referring to and everything looks to be intact! By the way here is another short video of the sound and where I think it may be coming from! thanks again,
Eduardo

There are knowledgeable guys in the Houston area that can help. You should ask around. I wouldn't have a clear conscience telling you to dig into it yourself when you don't seem to be ready/confident that you could handle it. Post a thread asking for someone in the Houston area that can help you with your problem. Whether it is a cracked header or a blown header gasket the header(s) have to come off.