Turbo size for MSD 50's????

HEROTIME

IT'S HEROTIME!
I'm in the market for a turbo but not sure what size to go with. I have MSD 50's and the engine has JE's, ported heads/intake and a girdle. I'll be using a AC 9" 3500 covn as well. I was thinking of going for the PT-52-54 but would like some input from anyone who has the same combo. So what do you guys think?
Frank :)

Frank,

Sounds like a familiar engine;) The sky for the most part is the limit on the motor. I would get a John Craig turbo if it were me (I have one now!). With a true 3500 you can go up to a TE-45A which is what I wish I had with that motor. The 50's limit you safely to high 10's. If street snap is where you are at get a 60 or 61 with a PTE or Garrett .63 housing.

A pt-54 or Te 63 will work with your combo. My last car had a
PTE-54 with 50lbs injectors and a 3500N/L. Car would fly until
I blow up the converter and decided to sell the car. Got alittle fustrated so now I have a new build up from the ground Turbo Regal. With the Te-63 will proply need biggier injectors but the 54 should be ok with 50s.

close to same here and i'm going with a John Craig te45 after all i've been thru...still saving up for it as of now..:(

Thanks for the input guys. Yes this car will see plenty of street time. How is the TE-45 for street duty? I know alot of guy are happy with the 60 for the street.
Thanks
Frank
;)

You'll love the Te-45 but you'll need biggier injectors if u want the full potential of that turbo. U have alot of stall so u need to try and match it with the right turbo. I ran a stock turbo with 3500 stall and u talk about a mis-match:D

How fast do you want to go?

In theory, a PT52-54 match up almost perfectly to the 50's, given they are all rated around 600HP. Given what the rest of your combo is, I assume you will want to go faster than what a 52 may be able to take you. I would think a 54 would be the minimum and you could consider moving up to the TE45 as previously suggested but then you will eventually need more injector.

I have a pt 52 with msd 50s and a lt1 MAF and extender to help out.They work together beautifully.The spool is quick with almost zero lag and I dont get Knock from fuel starvation.Sice I replaced my coil pack I really see a difference.It ran good before but now it runs ALOT better.

The TE45(A) is a LOT of turbo for a street car from talking to John Craig and 55's would be about the smallest injectors you'd want to run the 45 with. Also, you can get a PTE54 at a cheaper price compared to the 45A and the 54 is a mid 10 second capable turbo which is more than enough for a stock block TR. The 50's and 3500 stall converter will match up very well with the 54 turbo and are capable of low 11's - high 10's pretty easily considering Mike Price over on www.precisionte.com ran 10.92 @122mph with the PT54 turbo, MSD 50's, V4 intercooler, PI 9.5" 3500 stall converter with a STOCK untouched long block!!!

Frank,

Do yourself a favor and get a turbo from John Craig! He is on your side of the country and IMO has more knowledge than the others. His turbos are a work of art and he will steer you right. Most people fail to realize the PTE turbos are priced without actuators. You will save some on shipping and he also includes a copper turbo to header gasket, oil return gasket and and wastegate clip. I paid $785 for the 61 and couldn't be happier! How many complaints you hear on here about his products? Also, the 60 or 61 is you man! Stay with the 50's and go high 10's with a docile combo. When you start to go larger you will not enjoy it as much as I can vouch for that!

Here is my 61 and you can see what I mean: Quality!
http://home.att.net/~jesse.adkins/

since injectors cost 1/2 to 1/3 as much as a turbo, I think you are going about this backwards....decide how fast you want to go, and go from there.....the turbo you need to meet that objective will determine what injectors you need....don't build your combo around injectors....build it around your goals!

That said, if you have an inkling of going fast, get a TE-45 and upgrade the injectors later......you won't outrun a '45 with a stock block

My 45 is pretty good for the street, but I'm also kinda small on the injectors (MSD 50's). At 19# I'm getting 93-94% duty cycle, so do yourself a favor and figure out what your goals are early. Looks like some 65s or 72s are in my future along with a ME. However....the car did run 118.1mph at 19# and was killing my 28-12.50 ET Streets at the track. The 45 is a sweet turbo, but I would call John Craig and see what he says.

I have a TE45 (John Craig) with a 206 Webber roller, gn1s, and the MSD 50s. I haven't measured duty cycle % yet. but the car does have an XP double pumper. if the MSD 50s are good to high 10s, shoould I still upgrade the computer and go to larger injectors??? are there any problems with the 55, 65, or 72s on the street??? I really like the TE45 and AC 9" nl convertor on the street, but don't want to blow up at the track. high 10s is OK for me for now, but leaning out sure isn't!!! anyone doing well with the 72s on a chip, or is a ME the way to go.

tia for any thoughts.:D

I went Max-Effort when I stepped up to 55's and it worked better than any setup I ever had. I think I would have been fine into the 10.70 range if I had my second pump set right. I then switched to 83's which idled a little too high for me and tuning seemed more of a pain. I started thinking about the dreaded emissions and figured I would have to swap to something else then back again to make it work so I yanked them and sold the whole deal. Even though a few have done it with 72's getting through emissions I would say the 55's are about the best choice in this area. I now have 50's and with the second pump turning on at a lower boost I think high 10's will be do-able and emissions should be ok too! I had a T63E and would say 50-55's for your high 10 goal with a double pumper but if you want to really crank that 45 you will need 65's or bigger!

Jesse
I think I'm gona go with the TE-61 as well. Nice pics you have of that turbo. At least I got some eye candy to help me decide.
:D
Frank