Turbo oil leak issue

I wanted to keep this discussion going with my recent trials and tribulations regarding my TA-49 turbo rebuilt by PTE...

I had my TA-49 rebuilt over the winter, as it has been on my car for about 10 years. I was having the small oil leak at the bottom exhaust housing bolts as the OP described. I thought a refresh would help. PTE rebuilt the turbo over winter, and I finally got it installed about a month ago. Two other winter projects were to install my GSCA headers and a GBody turbo oil drain, both of which were completed before I reinstalled the turbo.

The first time I fired my car up in the garage, no problems. The second time I fired my car up and took it for a short drive, no problems. The third time I fired up the car, I just backed it out into the driveway so I could wash it. No problems. When I fired it up to pull it back into the garage, this happened:

20130428_133914.jpg 20130428_134831.jpg

Blue oil smoke pouring out of the tailpipes (even at idle) and oil dripping out between the exhaust housing and downpipe. Not good. My first thought was that PTE did something wrong, as others in posts above indicated. The next night, I pulled the turbo off and found the following:

20130429_174504.jpg 20130429_182316.jpg 20130429_182257.jpg

Oil had obviously gotten into the turbine and downpipe. After discussing this with Bison (big thank-you, BTW), we bounced around two ideas - either PTE dropped the ball, or maybe there was a problem with my oil drainage. The oil seals on a turbo are not positive seals like your rear main. It is just a piston ring that isn't designed to be submerged in oil. There is also a slinger that will fling any stray oil away from the piston ring seal, but then again it's not designed for submersion. If the oil drain is not free-flowing enough to allow the oil coming from the journal bearing to freely return to the block, it will pool up to the seals and go through them under conditions where there is not positive pressure in the turbine (like idle speed...). So, I wanted to confirm my drainage. When I installed it, I tried my best to make sure that its slope was always downhill, and I at least got it similar to the stock drain's path:

20130429_182606.jpg

Per Bison's suggestion, I decided to see how fast the Gbody drain could swallow a quart of oil as-installed on the engine. Simple test, as shown in the photo below:

20130429_183312.jpg

It took about a minute and 25 seconds. At several times, I had to stop pouring oil into the funnel because the oil was filling up the drain and overflowing. I then tried the same test on my old stock drain holding it in the same orientation as it would be on the engine:

20130429_185007.jpg

It took about a minute and 10 seconds. However, I noticed that the stock drain could swallow the oil as quickly as it came out of the full funnel. In other words, the funnel was now the limiting factor. If I had used a bigger funnel, the time would have been lower. My conclusion was that the stock drain is able to freely flow more oil than the GBody drain. I did some further investigating, and I've read that PTE recommends a minimum drain size of -10AN (5/8"). Others on this board are reporting that they are using -8AN (1/2") and having no problems. So, I measured the fittings (not the hose, but the hose barbs) on the GBody drain. At the points where the hose connects, the ID of the hose barbs are only 3/8" in diameter (equivalent to -6AN). In fact, the OD of the hose barb can fit inside the ID of the stock oil drain:

20130429_185413.jpg 20130430_190348.jpg

So, I reassembled the turbo onto the engine using the stock oil drain. I've now started and driven the car twice, and the oil smoke and leaks through the turbine are completely gone. Admittedly, it took three starts for the problem to appear the first time, so maybe I'll try it again next weekend and the problem will come back. If it does, I will post back here.

The point of this is not to bash anybody's product. I like the design of the GBody drain, it's easy to install and looks nice. I am thinking that maybe a product improvement can be made by widening out the ID of the hose barbs to make the drain flow better. I know many others have used this drain with no problems, but it doesn't appear to be adequate on my car. The point of this post is simply the following: If you are having problems with oil leaking out of your turbine, consider your oil drain. It's very important to the proper operation of your turbo's seals.

Hopefully, after writing all of this, my problem won't return next week!

One other thing - I did some research, and Turbonetics recommends that the oil drain angle be within 15 degrees of true vertical to promote good drainage flow. I measured the angle of my turbo with a protractor and bubble level, and it's tilted back about 20 degrees. Next time I remove the turbo, I am planning to rotate the center section a little bit to get it within the 15 degree limit. If you're installing a turbo, it's good to get the turbo feed and drain closer to true vertical than I have.

Hopefully my stress will help somebody else avoid this problem.

I have a TE44 that is doing the same. I have the stock feed and return line going to mine.
I have sent mine in to be repaired so we will see the outcome.
My turbo only had 12-1500 miles on it. PCV is good and working.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the info and the solution you found!

It seems this issue (oil leaking out the exhaust) is fairly common cross many turbo applications.

A Garrett T3 turbo (a stock unit) retrofitted to a FWD 3.8SFI engine did this same thing. It was very intermittent, but I eventually nailed down what would provoke it. Idling (or coasting down a long downhill run), with engine less-than-fully-warm, in cool weather temperatures.

There were 2 problems. One was the oil return fitting at the engine block. It was a brass 90 degree fitting, 1/2" flare by 3/8" NPT. Similar fittings were adequate on other builds, but this one was a poorly machined Chinese fitting. The passage inside it was stepped down where the machining was shoddy. I replaced this fitting and the problem reduced in severity but did not completely go away. The other half of the problem was the oil supply line needing a smaller restrictor. The enine has a strong oilpump and it makes 40 PSI at idle. I have a 5/16" (8mm) oil supply line with a restrictor orifice at the turbo. I don't remember the exact size, but I found the next size smaler drill bit that would fit in the existing restrictor orifice. Then used this one to make a new orifice. So far the problem has not recurred.

Sincerely,
David

I have a TE44 that is doing the same. I have the stock feed and return line going to mine.
I have sent mine in to be repaired so we will see the outcome.
My turbo only had 12-1500 miles on it. PCV is good and working.

I gave up on trying to figure out the issue, I checked PCV and the oil drain was clear and looked new inside. My stock turbo and a GT6131BB turbo I ran never had any issues so I figured it was just a poor rebuild. I have since purchased a Turbonetics BB turbo, once I get it installed I will post back on the results. Kyle

I have a PT54 on while my 44 is being redone. Its just fine. No smoking or leaking.

Maybe the bearing cartridge for these old-school T3-based turbos just consume more oil than the more modern turbos? It seems like only people who have TA49/TE44 turbos are complaining about this, at least on this thread. Or maybe PTE is putting too much clearance between the shaft and bearings when they rebuild them? Whatever it is, it seems to make these turbos more sensitive to oil drainage.

???

mgmshar said:
Maybe the bearing cartridge for these old-school T3-based turbos just consume more oil than the more modern turbos? It seems like only people who have TA49/TE44 turbos are complaining about this, at least on this thread. Or maybe PTE is putting too much clearance between the shaft and bearings when they rebuild them? Whatever it is, it seems to make these turbos more sensitive to oil drainage.

???

They use the same bearing housings. Just about everything is a copy of a Garrett

I have an unfortunate update to this thread...

As I reported earlier, changing from the G-Body oil drain to the stock oil drain did reduce the amount of blue smoke coming out of my exhaust. However, I started noticing that on deceleration, I was again getting puffs of blue smoke. It's not as bad as it was with the Gbody drain, but definitely there.

I convinced myself that the turbo is the problem. This is unfortunate, because I got the turbo rebuilt by PTE over the winter. When I installed it, I cleaned out the oil feed tube, primed the turbo with oil, and did not beat on the car at all (no boost, mostly idling) on the first few starts to break-it in. However, the blue smoke is still there even after switching drains. The turbo maybe has a total of 200 miles on it at this point, and maybe 6 or so total hours of run time (including idling in the garage). In frustration, I went ahead and ordered a new TA-49 from Bison. I decided to go ahead and pull the PTE-rebuilt turbo off before driving the car any more. Thank God I did...

The first thing I noticed was a lot of oil in my test pipe when I removed the band clamp that joins it to the down pipe. Odd. Must mean a lot of unburned oil is getting into the exhaust. I then removed the turbo - didn't notice anything too weird except for a lot of carbon at the entrance to the downpipe. Also odd, usually that area looks pretty clean. I decided to remove the compressor and turbine housings for closer inspection, and that's when I found it - huge amounts of axial shaft play. The compressor wheel made contact with the compressor housing. Looks like the thrust bearing is wiped-out. I imagine the resulting high bearing clearances resulted in the turbo consuming a lot more oil, and the oil seals not having much of a chance of containing it.

The below two photos show the amount of axial play and compressor wheel damage. You can see how much the compressor wheel is moving in-and-out relative to the backing plate. I measured at least .043" axial play, which is obviously way outside of acceptable.

20130619_184610.jpg

20130619_184630.jpg

...and the resulting damage to the compressor housing.

20130619_184735.jpg

Conclusion:
1. Something happened that caused this newly rebuilt turbo to quickly wipe out its bearings. Considering how careful I was to properly pre-lube and break-in this new turbo, I am very surprised to see this happen.
2. My above experiment showed that the G-Body drain does flow more slowly than the stock drain. However, I no longer believe it was the cause of my blue smoke and oil leakage problems. It appears that the turbo destroying itself probably caused it.

Question: For those who have dealt with PTE in the past on these types of issues, what kind of response did you get? Very disappointed that I paid good money to get this turbo rebuilt only to have it fail in less than ten hours of run time. This very same turbo had spent about ten years on my car with no problems - I just got it rebuilt as a "preventative maintenance" thing. Now I regret doing it.

If you see oil coming out the exhaust on your recently rebuilt turbo, check the shaft axial play for problems, I guess.

I had a new TA6262 die within 1000 miles. It had a small piece of teflon stop up the feed restrictor and it ate itself. They cut a small break on the price because it was new but not much.

I got a good old fashion circle jerk for a whole year, until the warrentee was up, one thing I did learn is PTE is never in the wrong and when they are they will never admit it. It's too bad as I was going to pull the trigger on one of their 5858 turbos but decided not to. But I would like to thank them for the cool paper weight I received, because that's all their rebuilds are good for.

I have an unfortunate update to this thread...

As I reported earlier, changing from the G-Body oil drain to the stock oil drain did reduce the amount of blue smoke coming out of my exhaust. However, I started noticing that on deceleration, I was again getting puffs of blue smoke. It's not as bad as it was with the Gbody drain, but definitely there.

I convinced myself that the turbo is the problem. This is unfortunate, because I got the turbo rebuilt by PTE over the winter. When I installed it, I cleaned out the oil feed tube, primed the turbo with oil, and did not beat on the car at all (no boost, mostly idling) on the first few starts to break-it in. However, the blue smoke is still there even after switching drains. The turbo maybe has a total of 200 miles on it at this point, and maybe 6 or so total hours of run time (including idling in the garage). In frustration, I went ahead and ordered a new TA-49 from Bison. I decided to go ahead and pull the PTE-rebuilt turbo off before driving the car any more. Thank God I did...

The first thing I noticed was a lot of oil in my test pipe when I removed the band clamp that joins it to the down pipe. Odd. Must mean a lot of unburned oil is getting into the exhaust. I then removed the turbo - didn't notice anything too weird except for a lot of carbon at the entrance to the downpipe. Also odd, usually that area looks pretty clean. I decided to remove the compressor and turbine housings for closer inspection, and that's when I found it - huge amounts of axial shaft play. The compressor wheel made contact with the compressor housing. Looks like the thrust bearing is wiped-out. I imagine the resulting high bearing clearances resulted in the turbo consuming a lot more oil, and the oil seals not having much of a chance of containing it.

The below two photos show the amount of axial play and compressor wheel damage. You can see how much the compressor wheel is moving in-and-out relative to the backing plate. I measured at least .043" axial play, which is obviously way outside of acceptable.

View attachment 193019
View attachment 193020

...and the resulting damage to the compressor housing.

View attachment 193021

Conclusion:
1. Something happened that caused this newly rebuilt turbo to quickly wipe out its bearings. Considering how careful I was to properly pre-lube and break-in this new turbo, I am very surprised to see this happen.
2. My above experiment showed that the G-Body drain does flow more slowly than the stock drain. However, I no longer believe it was the cause of my blue smoke and oil leakage problems. It appears that the turbo destroying itself probably caused it.

Question: For those who have dealt with PTE in the past on these types of issues, what kind of response did you get? Very disappointed that I paid good money to get this turbo rebuilt only to have it fail in less than ten hours of run time. This very same turbo had spent about ten years on my car with no problems - I just got it rebuilt as a "preventative maintenance" thing. Now I regret doing it.

If you see oil coming out the exhaust on your recently rebuilt turbo, check the shaft axial play for problems, I guess.
Good stuff. Thanks for sharing.

Sorry you have this problem!!! I can not vouch for or against PTE because I have no personal experience with them.

If you decide to buy a new turbo, I can definately vouch FOR Turbonetics. I have bought 2 new units from them, and they have been 100% reliable. One of them has over 60,000 miles on it and still works as good as it did the first day I took it out the box. There was one problem with the first one I ordered (configuration issue) and they paid all shipping as well as shipped the new turbo with call tag for the incorrect one without charging me up front. So positive experience all the way around, as well as a very durable product.

Sincerely,
David

I had a new TA6262 die within 1000 miles. It had a small piece of teflon stop up the feed restrictor and it ate itself. They cut a small break on the price because it was new but not much.

I specifically looked at the oil feed restrictor (the little brass fitting that threads into the top of the center section), and it was completely clear. Besides, I know the turbo was getting oil, because it was in my test pipe and coming out my exhaust. A lot of oil also dripped out of the bottom of the center section (at the drain hole) when I removed the turbo, and a puddle of oil got on my workbench when I started to take the turbo apart. I used teflon paste (not tape) when I installed the restrictor, so I don't think that would even be capable of clogging up anything.

I don't know if there is something inside the turbo that can get clogged and restrict oil through the bearing. Guess I'll find out when I take it apart. I will also double-check the oil feed line, but I have no reason to think it's clogged, seeing as I had oil coming out of my exhaust and the turbo center section.

I'm thinking the damaged compressor wheel assembled to the turbine shaft and turbine blades might make a great item for my "wall of shame". Bummer.

Sorry you have this problem!!! I can not vouch for or against PTE because I have no personal experience with them.

If you decide to buy a new turbo, I can definately vouch FOR Turbonetics. I have bought 2 new units from them, and they have been 100% reliable. One of them has over 60,000 miles on it and still works as good as it did the first day I took it out the box. There was one problem with the first one I ordered (configuration issue) and they paid all shipping as well as shipped the new turbo with call tag for the incorrect one without charging me up front. So positive experience all the way around, as well as a very durable product.

Sincerely,
David

Thanks for the recommendation. When I started having problems with this several weeks ago (months now, I guess), Bison was kind enough to offer me a lot of advice, which I appreciated. Because of this, I would rather give him my money for a new turbo. I ordered it a few days ago. Looking forward to installing it and hopefully ending this.

FWIW: When I had to deal with PTE on a warranty claim for a TA6262 DBB turbo that I had that was making some strange noises (no oil leak) they replaced it without issue. It had maybe 300 miles on it when it went out. I sold it when I got it back as I didn't want to deal with the DBB turbo anymore. After going to a 45A for a while I now have a stock appearing 62mm MFS/Stage V from bison. His advice and support are amazing.

Sincerely,
David
I heard nothing but great things from Turbonetics, customer service for starters, that's why I purchased a TE60 BB from them. I am just waiting for my new intercooler to arrive to see how my car likes it. I will be starting a new thread, in a few months, to give you guys my results. Thanks for keeping this tread alive. Thanks, Kyle.

Well those of you that have been following this thread I have an update. The oil leak problem has been fixed, the fix was buying a new turbo from a reputable company like Turbonetics. I am sure that Percision has lots of turbos out there that don't have any issues, but I think that they should look into solving the problems of the ones that do. In my opinion their quality, of their products that I have, has gone down the tubes. About 8 years ago I ran one of their SLIC and I was very happy with it, it worked very well and the install was easy with no modifications, it just bolted right up. So I purchased another one and the quality wasn't the same. The holes that where tapped into the SLIC, on the pass side, were not tapped straight. I had to file their mounting bracket holes a 1/4" so that the studs would go through the bracket. I also had to modify the drivers side bracket so the SLIC would sit level. I feel that since this is the same exact car the SLIC should of fit like the first one, I can only hope it performes like the first one, I got my fingers crossed.

Very sadly, I must now offer the conclusion to this unfortunate story...

If you've read this entire thread, you've seen that my turbo was shooting a lot of oil out the exhaust. The final time I removed the turbo and checked it out, I found a ton of axial movement of the shaft. I wasn't sure if I caused this problem, or something inside the turbo caused it. The turbo had very few miles since being rebuilt by PTE, the "leaders" in turbochargers for our cars, so my initial thought was that something happened that was my fault. Maybe the oil feed got plugged with something, or maybe I got some junk in the bearings, or similar. So, I disassembled the turbo on my workbench (what turned out to be a bad decision...).

Imagine my surprise when I found that the thrust bearing had almost no wear on it (photos below)! However, there was enough axial movement that the compressor wheel hit the housing (photos above), and the turbine wheel hit the heat shield (photo below). The piston ring seal also showed damage. How can this happen when the thrust bearing looks nearly new?

20130630_190227.jpg

20130630_190252.jpg

20130630_185936.jpg

The photo below shows all of the internal parts that I removed laid-out. Those of you who rebuild turbos, can you see what's missing?

20130630_183914.jpg

THERE IS NO STAR WASHER, AND THERE ARE NO SCREWS HOLDING THE THRUST WASHER TO THE CENTER HOUSING! Somebody at Precision Turbo and Engine rebuilt this turbo with absolutely nothing securing the thrust washer to the housing! Therefore, as the rotating assembly would thrust, the thrust washer would just move with it until the compressor wheel hit the housing and/or the turbine wheel hit the heat shield and/or the piston ring bottomed out in its groove.

Here is the PTE marking on the compressor housing. Yes, they rebuilt it.

20130630_190409.jpg

Now for the unfortunate part - I received an RMA and returned the disassembled turbo to PTE. I included a letter that explained the story and what I found when I disassembled the turbo. One week later, I received a phone call from a gentleman at PTE - even though he agreed that the evidence showed that the turbo failed because the thrust washer was unsecured, he "couldn't do anything for me" because I had disassembled the turbo. He offered to repair it completely at my cost. Well, I'm not going to pay for their incompetence twice. Fool me once, shame on me... I then asked for him to send the parts back to me - he would only do it if I paid for shipping! At that point, it just became insulting. I've spent many hours trying to figure out this problem, and I always blamed things I did first (reference the entire oil drain discussion above and the thought that I screwed-up the oiling or something). I supposed my time and effort don't count, at least to PTE. I live relatively close to PTE, so I told him I would drive down and pick-up the parts in person.

While I can sort of understand their position, it is clear that the turbo failed due to the incompetence of the Technician at PTE who rebuilt it. Period. There is no other way the rotating assembly can move far enough axially to wipe-out the compressor blades and heat shield with the thrust bearing still looking new. The thrust bearing was not secured. I also have no incentive to purposely destroy a freshly rebuilt turbo and try to get it rebuilt again for free - especially since I ended-up replacing it with another TA49 built by Bison. I had nothing to gain by wiping this turbo out. To me, it appears that PTE is more interested in covering someone's behind than working with their customer. I would have been much more pleasant about this if they had maybe offered to split the cost with me - I did disassemble the turbo, after all, but it is abundantly clear that their incompetence caused the failure.

Sadly, a turbo that served me well for about ten years is now a pile of scrap because I tried to do something good and have "precision" personnel go through it and make it like new. Obviously, I won't ever make that mistake again. I would advise that if you get a turbo from PTE, give the turbine and compressor wheels a good nudge to make sure the thrust bearing is secured...

...and if you see oil in the exhaust, I would suggest taking the turbo to PTE and making them disassemble it in front of you.

"...and if you see oil in the exhaust, I would suggest taking the turbo to PTE and making them disassemble it in front of you "

Nah, they have that scenario covered as well, their famous warranty voiding line, "Oil Contamination". :rolleyes:

Well, the wonders of this drama never cease...

I received a call from Wes (Operations Manager, IIRC) from PTE. He asked me to relay my story to him, which I did. He agreed with my assessment. Afterwards, he apologized for my inconvenience, apologized for the way this was handled, and had already rebuilt my turbo at their expense. He was also kind enough to ship it to me at his expense.

I don't honestly know if this thread had anything to do with it, but it's good to see a company finally come around and do the right thing. I'm a Regional Sales and Engineering Manager, and I know it's tough when your company screws-up. All companies screw-up. I've been on the receiving end of those calls plenty of times. How your company handles the bad situation is the key. Their initial response was poor, in my judgement (reference the post above). However, assuming the turbo works well when I receive it, I'll change my vote from "Unsatisfied" to "Satisfied".

...and yes, the first thing I'll do is check the axial play! Won't be able to help myself.