Turbo for mid 11s

Dale G

Ok what would be the best turbo to buy and from what vendor, to easily run mid 11s. I don't have the intercooler yet but will come after the turbo is in.
Thanks Dale.

A TE44 or TA 49 could be good of for mid 11's depending on what else you have for mods.Isn't the 'Great One' from Brantford,Ont.?Have you ever seen him around?He's my hero.:cool:

I did a lot of searching on this board before I did my mods, and from members recomendations this is what I came up with. I purchased a TE 60 with .63 exhaust housing. Went with 50 lb. injectors. Got a chip from Jim Testa. I have the same stall converter you do. All I'm interested in running is low 11's which should take care of most of the stuff on the street.
Just my 3 cents ( inflation you know ):D
Tarey D.

Yes Wayne is from Brantford, My brother was in High school with his brothers and played Hockey in school. Wayne's Dad is around the Mall's doing lot's of Charity, Great Guy for the communiy!

For some, the 44/49 is beginning to be stretched...not to say it has not done that, or better, for a few. :)

I would think a 60-62 would be a better choice.

Get yourself a TE-60, I had a 49 that went 11.70 previously at 23psi - This one gets it done with 20psi and no loss in spooling.

Just get yourself a 3000-3200 stall converter from YANK - its a thing of beauty and you will launch hard :).

From what I understand, the TE series turbos are NOT stock looking. Is this correct? I also want a new turbo but I want to use the turbo shield to keep it looking , well, stock. If this is wrong please correct me.

I think the only thing different is the inlet bell.

They do make a nice TA62 stock appearing turbo I just got one. :)

With a 3200 stall I hope to make high 11's in street trim.

Pump gas and alky. and drag radials.

Who knows..... ;)

Originally posted by gn1220
From what I understand, the TE series turbos are NOT stock looking. Is this correct? I also want a new turbo but I want to use the turbo shield to keep it looking , well, stock. If this is wrong please correct me.

Correct, the TE series turbos do not have the inlet bell like the stock turbo or TA49 and TA60 turbos.

So, the inlet bell is the only visual difference? I could still use my Turbo cover? How would the TA 60 work with a stock converter?

To run easy mid 11's I'd go with a bigger turbo than the 44 or 49. I'd also go with a set of 50# injectors.

All depends on what your definition of EASY is.

-Banning.

You can use your Turbo cover w/ pretty much anything granted you bolt the bracket for it on to the turbo.

TA=Stock Appearing, removable inlet bell
TE=3" Inlet on comp. housing, no removable inlet bell

I like TE's, I think anything in the 60, 61, or 62 range or just a TE44 will get you what you want. the 61's and 62's will require a lil' stall, though. Of course you will want bigger injectors/chips (50's) for any turbo upgrade over stock.

I was under the impression that the cover wouldn't fit. I guess some guys want to show off that new turbo!:D
A new turbo is a LONG way down the road but I just want to know as much about them as I can to make the right choice. My plans call for a new turbo, 50's and a Mease stock location I/C.:D

To make the cover fit a te turbo notch it. The oil plug that connects
to valve cover is deleted.

Originally posted by turbofrank
To make the cover fit a te turbo notch it. The oil plug that connects
to valve cover is deleted.

There's nothing to notch. It'll fit the TE's just fine. The only time it needs to be "notched" is in case a THDP is mounted.

The only time the cover needs to be trimmed is if you get a TH DP, you must cut the shield where the DP pipe exits (all turbos) - its a small amount on the pass side.

The stock converter is great, until you try a 3000+ aftermarket and realize all the extra abuse you have been dishing out on your car to get a good launch.

Also a bigger intercooler is a big part of going 11's - It gave me about 6mph in the 1/4 on a TA-49.

And lastly, Forget about that stock appearing bell - its a waste of time imo.

Good Luck