Turbo Bob's 2 step help

larrym

West Coast Newfy
so i was installing my new 2 step and I'm having trouble, key on both leds flash green, fire it up and the main is flashing and its working at idle sputtering away. Set all the main rpm switches on still nothing. same with the trig rpms no change. Shut it down and flipped the confg 1 switch off fire it up it runs but it throws a code 42.
Unplug the rpm signal from the 2 step fire it up codes gone runs well.
Reversed the rpm signal wire ran like it was unplugged no limiter function, messed with it for a couple hours double checked all my connections. I even disconnected my wire tap for the Gen2 no change same white b4 wire.

While it was running the trigger led would light up once in a while.

So no change unplugged my after market tach just incase
Moved the wire tap for the Gen2 to the engine side of the splice.
It appears the trigger rpm is the problem. I have both trigger wires disconnected and the trigger LED still flashes while its running and with the engine off key on. Any ideas would be appreciated. Race day is August 10th I would be disappointed if I dropped a couple hundred bucks and didn't get it sorted until next year

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

More data with the sensor monitor page on the gen2
With the 2 step pugged into the fuse box there is no rpm signal with or without the config switch on.
Disconnect and install a fuse it fires up and the signal is back. Explains the code 42
When I turn the config switch on the main led flash so somehow the 2 step senses 8000 rpm.

where is the ground wire connected? Generally speaking body grounds are really bad for voltage offsets and noise. Try using the ECM ground, either the ECM case, or the engine.

Bob

Thanks for the reply Bob swapped the ground out no change. Still no rpm signal after the 2 step according to the gen2. Both my other tachs work.

well, one idea, for now, is to connect it like we run the FAST's, just connect the white wire like the 2-step was a tach, i.e. just tap into the EST wiring to get the RPM signal.

the timing retard won't work, but its a step.

also, how are your mode and config switches set?

Bob

So I tapped into the b4 wire did the same thing tapped into my tach wire stumbled badly but I could get the limiter to sort of work wouldn't drive like this sounds like its running on 5 cylinders at idle.

Config 1 on all others off trigger all on main all on
The main led is flashing like its activated plugged into the B4 or tach tap.

hm, what serial number is it? I want to check the software version.

Bob

241 is that your hand writing on the sticker?
I feel like a tit I thought I might change the coil module the 1 in it is a brand new delco. When I had the wire tap to my tin if I brought the revs up o 2000 rpm the main led would stop flashing

So far it appears to be working tapped into the tach. With my old module.

Its working well, guess I should have saved a little longer and gone with the TR6 ignition instead! Thanks for all your help Bob!
Hope this info helps someone else in the future, I had just added brand new wires, plugs, and module thought the ignition system was dialed in and ready for the 2step.

I had this same issue and ended up getting it to function perfectly with a genuine GM coil and module. I should try the tach tap and see how that goes. Would be nice to have a functioning spare when my coil craps.

Thanks for the info.

larry, or D if I could borrow a module/coil that does this, then I should be able to determine a better fix.

BTW, serial number 241 was built with software 1.01. There is a later software set that might handle the noise signals better.

Bob

not sure if I need both, but I can test yours and check its compatibility with the updated unit.

Bob

A couple quick questions on the partial cut modes do they affect just the trigger rpm?