Turbine style wheels

84_t-type

Has anyone done a DIY restoration on these style wheels. Not sure about how to approach this project to make them look stock. I have a wheel cleaning kit but it makes wheels shiny. I wanted some input before I try it.

I used muriatic acid mixed 50/50 with water and a toothbrush. Worked well for me but you have to be careful with the acid. There's the safety precautions obviously but it seems different suppliers products react differently. Test it on the backside first. I almost forgot, do a small area at a time and have a water hose handy. You only want to leave it on the aluminum for about 30 seconds and then flush thoroughly. Repeat as required

I tried to find a before picture quick but no luck. They were nasty to begin with.

Attachments

• WP_20140523_21_55_58_Pro.jpg
    WP_20140523_21_55_58_Pro.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 142
Ok thanks I found some heavy duty wheel cleaner and it worked good on the front side but the back side has a bunch of crap caked on. I am going to try a scotch brite pad first and see what that dose. A brush was not enough to take that off. I will post some before and after pics when i am done.

They are the factory '86, '87 wheels on the 'T's. I have a set of the '84 style as well and the fins are a lot closer together. I believe 'turbine' was just the generic term everyone used for the finned wheels that were popular in the '80s. I think American Wheel had the original design in the '70s