Tube/fin vs. plate/fin coolers, larger ID lines?

GN SBS

Folks,

1. I've heard that tube/fin coolers seem to do a better job than plate/fin for any given size. Any evidence / comments? I have a B&M supercooler (plate/fin) and have gotten the recommendation to run tube & fin from several folks (mid 10-second car).

2. What inner diameter lines do folks recommend running? I'm having braided, teflon lines made and would like opinions on this as well. The braided lines currently on my car have a very small ID and I'd like to consider going larger for more flow & more cooling.

What I can comment on is that low trans temps really help to keep my 200 from slipping...

thanks,
Scott

I believe

A # 6 AN line is sufficent as the stock lines are 5/16. The hole in the trans fittings are much smaller than 5/16.

cooler

We just installed a cooler independant from the cooling system on a stalled trans with russel -6 classic hose and all the russel an fittings and used the large b&m race cooler as well. On the autometer temp gauge the trans averaged around 165 degrees. Lowest being 145 highest being 185. Did three back to back hard launches on m/t et drag radials and took it up to 130 and back to a stop. Never got excessive heat soak or anything. Had a tube and fin on before through the radiator and it would elevate to 220 :eek:

My B&M supercooler kept my trans temps at 160-165 pretty much constantly. I didn't use the radiator.

FWIW my car sucks right now, that's why I'm using past tense. It'll be back on the road soon, hopefully with the same (trans temp) results. I love the bar and plate.