TTA rear or gears needed

turbov6joe

Signal 1 J-12
Anyone have a TTA rear or a set of factory gears (3.27) for a TTA rear for sale?
What about a rear that will fit in the TTA?
1987-1992 nine or ten bolt with disc brakes.

turbov6joe said:
Anyone have a TTA rear or a set of factory gears (3.27) for a TTA rear for sale?
What about a rear that will fit in the TTA?
1987-1992 nine or ten bolt with disc brakes.
If you can't find a complete low mile rear don't waste your time finding used gears. I just put a used set in mine, and if you don,t match the original wear pattern which is impossible, then they will make noise. My stock rear has been apart 6 times now with two different sets of gears with no luck. Either buy a complete rear, or a 12 bolt or 9". It's not worth the time or money to try to fix the stock rear. PM me if you have any questions. Good Luck.

Used gears can be a real pia to setup and get quite.

Although if u gut everything from said other rear and use as a template to install it usually works okay.

A good lower mileage rear should set you back around $2-300 like mentioned.

U can get gears for our rears. do some pokiing around at thirdgen,org for more info.

Also for used rears try Denny of ThirdGen Ranch.

He had some rears last time I talked to him.

later
Jeremy

The main reason the gears are hard to set up is because of the original pinion depth is hard to determine. This depth is controlled by shims or a shim. The gears are supposed to have the original pinion depth stamped on top of them(so I was told). In my case they didn't so your starting pinion depth is a guess, which in my case so far hasn't worked. The gears I got work, but they are noisy under decel which is very nerve wracking. My rear end has been apart six times now, and is still not perfect. I could have almost had a new 12 bolt with what i've spent on the original.

dvernst said:
The main reason the gears are hard to set up is because of the original pinion depth is hard to determine. This depth is controlled by shims or a shim. The gears are supposed to have the original pinion depth stamped on top of them(so I was told). In my case they didn't so your starting pinion depth is a guess, which in my case so far hasn't worked. The gears I got work, but they are noisy under decel which is very nerve wracking. My rear end has been apart six times now, and is still not perfect. I could have almost had a new 12 bolt with what i've spent on the original.

I agree!!! Buy new gears & set them right,It' cheaper in the long run!!!