Trying E85 for the first time

Mods are in my sig, pretty much a stock car. I was running 16psi on 93 octane, and would occasionaly get 0.5 or 0.7 knock on the scanmaster. I just started reading up on E85 recently. Right now I have 42lb injectors so I know I cant run 100% e85, but I ran the tank down to empty and added 6 gal E85, 6 gal 93. I adjusted the WOT fuel on the TT chip to +20%. Is there anything else I should do or can I try bumping up the boost a little? I was thinking maybe 17, 18psi and watch for knock? I'm not looking to go crazy here, just trying to get a few more psi. Eventually I'd like to get some bigger injectors and an E85 chip, but I figured I try this for now.

I would be looking for a fresh fuel filter and would be thinking about how old the rubber hoses are on the fuel system. I would back the boost down to 14 or so and creep up on it. Keep a real close eye on injector duty cycle.....your 42 lb injectors are 36 lb'ers with 50-50 mix! You do have a hood-mounted fuel pressure gauge don't you! Keep us posted on your progress.
Conrad

If I am going to have to turn the boost down, then what is the point? Wouldn't I be better off just going back to the 93 octane gas? I do have a fuel pressure gauge.

You may be able to run more, but you should start low in case you max out the injectors. You really need larger injectors to get the boost up there though.

What RAFS said. We are all assuming that you don't want to hurt your motor. Having said that, I would also suggest (in addition to a good fuel pressure gauge) an Exhaust Gas Temp gauge and a wide band oxygen sensor with gauge, perferably with a logging system so you keep your eyes on the road at all times. When one starts venturing beyond Buick's design parameters for our motor (and you ARE), you have to be very careful that everything stays within safe parameters. If you aren't willing and able to do that you will be treading on thin ice. You may get away with it or, more likely, you will have major problems down the road such as blown headgaskets, melted pistons, etc.

Most knowledgeable folks here will suggest that you take baby steps with E85 and monitor everything possible and constantly be on the lookout for problems. Above all, be careful!
Conrad

What has been said. If you have 36# or even 42#ers you will be out of injector QUICK running 100% e85. Running 100% e85 you will burn 20%-30% more fuel. So you have to tune for that. Get bigger injectors and never worry about again. That why if you read guy sigs, the ones on corn are running 120's or 160's depending on there setup. I have 83#ers and at 15# of boost I have a pretty high duty cycle. I will be upgrading before I turn up the boost myself.

How does a 160lb injector idle? I am considering 160's myself

Bryan

Monte is talking about 50% E85 so it isn't as bad as you think. My concern would be maintaining ~50% E85 when filling up at the station.
Conrad

From what I have seen 50% is no real change in tune and duty cycle. It acts as a octane booster then.

Anyone else have a similar experience with 50% E85?
Conrad

You know I am not sure about the lines. It seams I remember alot of topics on it though. Would have to do a search on that. I don't have to worry about it because I have garden hoses for mine. LOL

I'll tell you what I have. Basic details in my signature below. I have -10 feed (splits into -8 to go to each fuel rail) and -8 return. Am using a Aeromotive Eliminator pump w/electronic speed control and HD pump wiring and 83 lb injectors (soon to be 120#). I believe in doing something one time and doing it right!
Conrad

I ran up to 50% before I finally swapped to 100%... My personal favorite was 33%. It's easy to keep it consistant, just put 6 gallons of E85 in the tank and then fill up the rest of the way with regular. I easily got away with 18lbs with 33% and 60lb injectors. I now run between 20 and 22lbs with 100%.

Don't over complicate things, throw it in there and see what happens... that's what I did well over 20,000 miles ago. I'm even still running the same walbro fuel pump... E85 is incredibly forgiving, just up the boost a little bit at a time.

Adam,
Thanks so much for your input. I may give the 33% a shot!
Conrad

I ran up to 50% before I finally swapped to 100%... My personal favorite was 33%. It's easy to keep it consistant, just put 6 gallons of E85 in the tank and then fill up the rest of the way with regular. I easily got away with 18lbs with 33% and 60lb injectors. I now run between 20 and 22lbs with 100%.

Don't over complicate things, throw it in there and see what happens... that's what I did well over 20,000 miles ago. I'm even still running the same walbro fuel pump... E85 is incredibly forgiving, just up the boost a little bit at a time.

Adam when you were running 33% did you do anything else to increase fuel delivery via the chip programming? My concern would be running lean.

I see a wide variety of opinions on e85 in this forum. Some guys say it's pretty simple, others swear you need to make major upgrades. I'm not looking to go in the 9's or anything. Its just a street car. I would be happy with 12's or even 13's. I'll admit I'm trying to do this on a budget. I was going to spend the $650 on alkycontrol but I just can't right now. That's why I'm trying the e85. The station is right in my town. Getting 60lb injectors and a chip would be more likely for me than the alky kit. On Eric's (turbotweak) forum, he advises you can get into the mid-low 11s with 60lb injectors and an e85 chip. That is what intrigued me. I haven't had a chance to get the car out recently so I still haven't seen any results.

You've got a 12-second combo now but you'll have to run race gas. E85 is going to take some upgrades. I listed mine in another thread, search my name. I think mine was as minimal as I could do safely but it works.