Trunk and Under Hood LEDs

SpeedRacerX

I have most of the LEDs in my car from our awesome vendor Kirban.

However, I've never liked the light output for the trunk LED. That is partially the LED and partially the position of the bulb in the trunk metal body, i.e. a lot of the bulb is blocked.

I found someone on ebay offering super bright LEDs for the Grand National that fit the trunk and under the hood.

I got them today. The size and fit are perfect. They are about 2, maybe 3 times brighter than the other LEDs I had.

Here are some pix. In fairness to Kirban, I will not put a link but you can search yourself.

92e6a0eab2488a4e6bbd93ace1bb763a.jpg

5f5c8c6ece33c56db23655d9d4c602e3.jpg

7907fb4665b31a0ecc29f1bc0134a52c.jpg

a12d4b0114e93a8f29cb14a24439cb5b.jpg

I'm sure the pictures don't do these justice. Hope this is helpful. Good luck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I have the ones pictured on the right but have not had a chance to put them in.
Is the left the superbright?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the ones pictured on the right but have not had a chance to put them in.
Is the left the superbright?

The one on the right is the brighter one.

I have the under hood bulb and don't like it. It shines the light forward, not down on the motor where it belongs. Also lately it takes the bulb awhile to warm up. Will be going back to the stock bulb.

I have the under hood bulb and don't like it. It shines the light forward, not down on the motor where it belongs. Also lately it takes the bulb awhile to warm up. Will be going back to the stock bulb.
You have which under hood bulb? The one on the left or right in the pics above?

I've always disliked how the light shines in one direction, straight forward, from the bulb on the left.

The bulb on the right has LEDs all around it that help to shine the light in all directions, especially downward, where you need it most.

A picture of the stock bulb beside one of these LED units (both lit) would be useful. So far my tests have not found any reasonably priced bulbs that compared to the incandescents.
Since I don't remember ever changing out the trunk or hood bulbs the longevity argument doesn't impress me :)

I think I have the bulb on the left. It was described as an under hood bulb. Looks like I need the one on the right.

I bought a couple of the bright LEDs strips that tape on. Put them up high on the lip of the hood near the front so they won't shine in your face. The wires were run inside down the hood and then around the fenderwell where a small switch was mounted behind the headlight to turn on manually. After this pic black tape was put on over the front side of the LED strips so you can't see them from the front. It turned out nice....

image.jpg

Last edited:
You can see the lights at the very top of the pics. Click on the pics for the full res. They are taped at the bend where the hood pad would set in (I have no hood pad). This angle makes it so they are pointing towards the engine and not straight down. Look at the top of the hood pad in this pic and see where the hood curves in.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Sweet, I may copy this, as of right now I don't have a good light or trunk light at all. The car has a trunk kit, and I'm not even sure if it came with one in the trunk from the factory. I guess I gotta go hunting for wires now. Thanks for the info.

My buddy gave me some strips that can be changed to any color I used them for my under dash curtesy light and in the trunk

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 202
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 178
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 142