Trouble with scanmaster 2.1

Donnel Childs

I just bought a scanmaster 2.1 for my 85 gn and hooked it up as the directions said but the o2 and knock only display '--- ---'. Nothing else reads bur Cle which is 131 and iac at 193 and I'm not sure either are right. I have a good ground and I spliced the white wire into the orange one that goes into plug e..If there is anyone know what's going on with this or can help I'd really appreciate it

What ECM in the car?
Scanmaster works with 86/87 ECM only.

I have the 85 ecm I was told it would work with it... it's there anything else I could use to measure the o2 so I can tune the car

OTC200/400 . . . There is another tool with a pc, but forgot the name.
Probably cheaper to swap the ECM, and more than likely better long term, pending your goals.

Edit: The other is Turbolink.

Last edited:
I used a snapon brick with 84/85 ecm. But scan master works better...Most of the way with 86/87

The details are documented in the sticky of this section.

Go to the boneyard and find an 86-87 ECM should be like $30 or so, like jerryl said read up on it you will see a list of cars that came with the ECM you need. Order a chip from Eric to match your set up for the new ECM now that way when you get the ECM it's plug and play the 85chip won't work, but the calpack is ok to use from the 85 ECM you don't need the mat sensor if your gonna use a TT chip but you will need a new maf lt1/ls1

I'm using the ls1 maf with a cold air kit I made at home 3.5" with translator no mat image.jpg