Transmission taking its last breaths

HouTX87

I think my stock trans has finally given out. The trans is stock original 53k miles except for (external trans cooler, 3200 stall, shift kit). I've had the car for 16 months now and have gradually added power and should be in the high 11 sec range now. I recently noticed a slip shifting into 3rd at wot and added 1/2qt fluid and it seemed to be fixed. Then today on a wot blast I suddenly saw crazy knock in 3rd gear, 14.5 kr I believe, just before that the trans seemed to be shifting late and hard as if the tv cable was too tight. Of course I let out immediately and checked the scanmaster, numbers look fine. Pulling away from the next stop light the trans is suddenly slipping in first. Feels like I'm driving with the parking brake on. I get home and check the fluid level and it's clean and 1/2 qt over full, no leaks. Anyway, is she done for or is there an outside possibility that I have another problem? I knew this day was coming.

Be glad it made it that far. You gonna take it to Mike Kurtz for him to work his magic?

Haha, yeah I've been talking all afternoon about calling Mike on Monday. He did the shift kit and converter and has been great for about a year although the car was nearly stock at that time.

My transmission experience was horrible. I had the stock trans rebuilt four times and was stranded four times and had to pay for tow trucks and the massive inconvenience of time wasted and car stuck in the shop. Do yourself a favor and get performance built trans by a vendor here and never worry about transmission again. Totally worth the $3000 or so you'll have to pay.
...then save up for a new rear end....

Mike Kurtz, owner of Century transmission is a very reputable 2004r builder and has been around forever. And he's local, so I can leave the car with him. I always do my best to support the vendors when buying parts. Unfortunately the car might have to hibernate in the garage while I come up with the funds but at the same time I'm excited about getting a built trans in the car. After that I will definitely be thinking about a driveshaft upgrade.

jarredsoon said:
My transmission experience was horrible. I had the stock trans rebuilt four times and was stranded four times and had to pay for tow trucks and the massive inconvenience of time wasted and car stuck in the shop. Do yourself a favor and get performance built trans by a vendor here and never worry about transmission again. Totally worth the $3000 or so you'll have to pay.
...then save up for a new rear end....

Was this with a mike Kurtz trans? He has quite a bit of experience with the 2004r. If I was down that way I wouldn't hesitate to use him.

I have extreme automatics stage three. I have two of them and getting a third. Every time a car needs a transmission I get one.

Well after doing some reading it turns out the trans is taking off in second gear. I tried coming to a stop, shifting into neutral and then back into OD, still taking off in second. But if I manually pull it into first it will downshift to first. I know I'm due for a built trans but is there a chance this is something simple that could buy me some time? I will check the tv cable adjustment but I haven't touched it and it's been fine until now.

Car is now at Century. Mike says the trans is fine but something's going on with the valve body. Should be ready Friday! For now I'll have to turn down the boost and start saving for that built trans. I'll consider this a wake up call. I also ordered a hughes deep pan with 700r4 bottom feed filter from jegs yesterday, (was expecting an overhaul). I won't have it until next week but maybe it will help add some life to the stock trans.

They said they have a valve body ordered just in case. They won't be tearing it down until the parts come in. Looks like it might be next week before it's ready. Good news is that my trans pan should be delivered tomorrow so I should be able to get it to them in time. Too bad it's a 60 mile drive each way, but could be worse.

Was able to get the new Hughes deep trans pan with bottom feed filter out to Century today and Mike approved. He's got 3 other gn's out there and also his soon to be 8 sec limited and white '88 monte. Glad my GN is in good hands. For now it's parked inside on a lift above another GN (no leaks).

I'm having some similar issues as yourself. After a dyno session, my trans stopped dropping into 1st gear at stop light. I adjusted the TV cable a little and it now shifts into 1st 9 out of 10 times. Now when taking off hard it seems to be slipping in 1st gear and getting a clutch smell. I think my new PTC 9.5 NLU converter beat up the clutches. My trans is not stock though. It was built by FB transmissions by the previous owner, so I'm not totally aware of its contents. I have also read on here that FB transmissions doesn't have that great of reputation with these 2004r. Stressed.......

GN came home tonight with a new valve body and shifting perfectly. Was told that over time the valve bodies can become pourous and develop an internal leak. Glad it wasn't a larger mechanical failure although still not cheap. Still need to think ahead for a beefed up rebuild.