Transmission pan gasket drip

viokrome

Changed my filter and tranmission fluid because had a slight drip from the forward r/h corner of the pan, used the ac delco filter kit with gasket and my pan is still dripping. I lowered the pan down nice and even did not look like it had any bends. Cleaned the pan and transmission surface and torqued to spec, Just wanted to know what everyone has had the best luck with to seal up the pan, type of gasket, rtv, no rtv whatever.
Thanks.

I was told to never use RTV on the trans gasket...the trans pan on my GN has leaked for years...and I've tried just about everything...composite gasket...cork gasket...I do have an Art Carr Alum pan but it should seal...I'm thinking now that the pan rail surface isn't flat...I've never had any leak issues with stock trans pans...always used cork gaskets with them and make sure not to over tighten...could be your pan is bent a little

I too have an Art Carr deep pan and I used almost every gasket type out there, and still I had a small amount of tranny oil leak by the front and a little to the right side of the tranny. After talking to a great friend and one of our TR member Mike (m233roller), he told me it's possible the manual shaft seal (701) is leaking. Well Mike was right, It was leaking enough not to be notice but enough to slide down the tranny body towards the front tranny bolts thinking the gasket was leaking. Replaced the manual shaft seal, no more leaks. The following is what I used and where I got the seal and the special tool needed to remove this seal:
Manual Shaft Seal (701) : http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=NOS4912_0094086151
Manual Shaft Seal Tool: http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?A=BK_7769250_0117880293&An=0
Total cost for both is less than $20.00

Attachments

• GN Tranny Seal.pdf
    672.2 KB · Views: 192
Thanks, I have the oil pan dropped right now got a cork gasket for it, I used the thin paper like type that came with the AC Delco trans kit so i will check the manual shaft seal first then get a cork seal for the tranny also.........

Just went and checked! IT is the manual shaft seal!!!!! leaking right down the side to the front of the pan and over to the right side drip drip.....

Thanks to GNONYX you just saved me a lot of time and fustration........