Transmission Leak

trbodon21

I have a 2 year old BRF 2004R built by Eric Schertz. Since I've had the transmission there has been a slow leak from the pan that would come and go. Now it is always leaking. It's not a huge amount, but enough to want to fix. After I drive the car around and leave sit overnight there is about a 6 inch diameter spot of soaked pavement (not an actual puddle). I've torqued and retorqued, but that didn't make a difference. The gasket that is in there is one of the rubber types. Should I try a cork gasket? Any suggestions?

I use the 1/8" thick cork, make sure the gasket surface is flat, and torque 'em down and they don't leak. I never liked the rubber ones, especially since they are so thin and if the pan is even a little warped, they seep fluid. Might also check the shift shaft seal, dipstick and TV cable seals and make sure the fluid isn't running down and along the gasket.

We use strictly fiber gaskets on all our units. Both with the aluminum and stock pans. I have yet to see one leak when properly installed. Do not use any silicone or gasket adhesive when you install the gaskets either. They will actually allow the gasket to crush easier and cause a leak.

Mark

get the vimac gaskets at your local trans shop.also called fibre.torque the bolts to 180 inch pounds and be done with it.while its off verify the pan rail is not bent or crooked.if so straighten it prior to reinstalling.also check the filler tube boot,tv cable boot and speedo gear o ring.if the trans is slightly overfilled these areas will leak more if not properly sealed.

So I replaced the gasket with a fiber one (ck performance) and also put a different pan on that I had laying around. The pan was perfectly staight and the surface of the transmission also seemed to be true. I still have a small leak at the front of the transmission pan when the car is parked on a hill. The dipstick tube and detent cable are both sealed tightly. Could this be from an overfilled transmission? I'm at the top of the indicator on the dipstick. Maby taking a little fluid out will help??