Transmission coolers

Here's a link to the one I've recently purchased. Gonna install it on the weekend. Will be using this in conjunction with my ALRADCO Aluminum Radiator.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Buick-Grand-National-Custom-Transmission-Cooler-Kit?item=320851552093&cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo=LVI&itu=UCI&otn=3&po=LVI&ps=63&clkid=8640988273550487374

This transmission cooler comes with a custom CNC mounting bracket (powder coated) & utilizes 5/16" inverted flare connections on hoses for a real clean & tidy looking installation.

Take a close look at what you get in the package!

dave

Attachments

• gn transmission cooler kit cw brkt.jpg
    gn transmission cooler kit cw brkt.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 1,623
  • custom gn transmission cooler kit.jpg
    custom gn transmission cooler kit.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 1,767
  • GN transmission cooler lines.jpg
    GN transmission cooler lines.jpg
    1.5 KB · Views: 588
I went with a B&M 70264 on mine. No pics but I secured it to the radiator X brace using rubberized metal hose clamps found at the hardware store. I ran the cooler inline with the radiator to tranny return line. So the radiator cools the tranny fluid first, then the tranny cooler cools what comes out of the radiator.

I've yet to have the tranny cooler get really hot while driving. It's usually warm to the touch but not hot. This cooler also comes with all the rubber hose lines, brass barbed fittings, brackets and hardware.

This is a picture of mine its a B&M 70266 cooler 8x11 I bought a 90 degree aluminum bracket at homedepot and cut it and painted it. Holds it in place no problems.

ForumRunner_20120525_121511.png

Doesn't really matter what brand you go with, they're all pretty much the same. Just make sure you go with a bar and plate style of cooler and get the largest one available. With it mounted in the lower passenger side on the core support it should get plenty of cooling and not be in the way of the direct air for the condensor and radiator. I hooked mine up going through the radiator cooler first, then through the external cooler. I've been beating the stock trans for about 6 months and still works well. (knock on wood)

I went with Long Tru-Cool LPD (4543) low pressure drop transmission oil cooler. Home depot has the "U" shape clamp that was fasten onto the radiator body tube frame.
Also have same set up as per williansGN; going through the radiator and then the external cooler system.

This site is an example of what I have, and you can check with EBay, or one of the board vendors. http://www.transmissioncoolers.us/4543.html

Attachments

• Picture 004A.jpg
    Picture 004A.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 477
  • Picture 103.jpg
    Picture 103.jpg
    781.6 KB · Views: 413
  • Picture 100.jpg
    Picture 100.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 417
Thanks for the info guys
What about fans?

My car has a single electric fan - is there a good dual fan setup that isnt too expensive?

also there is a small clutch driven fan behind the intercooler. is that how it is on a stock setup? or did the previous owner do some kind of hackjobbery?

edit:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004LYT9KI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=AQ5LQTIPUCN8K

im looking at these guys. not as pretty as the nice ones with a dual housing, but 5000 cfm sounds pretty nice to me.

Attachments

• 2012-03-11_09-31-20_899.jpg
    2012-03-11_09-31-20_899.jpg
    800.1 KB · Views: 528
  • 2012-03-11_09-31-48_634.jpg
    2012-03-11_09-31-48_634.jpg
    841.2 KB · Views: 400
http://www.gbodyparts.com/product_i...d=333&osCsid=6a560712976dedc29b49d0ff2fbe7cdb

OK So im going to order these fans, but im not 100% sure they will fit.
the picture shows bolts on the sides of the radiator, but my current single electric fan bolts to the top and bottom

Do I need an aftermarket aluminum radiator to use these, or is that just how it is shown in the picture?

Here's a write up off of GBody's website.

Do a search and you'll find lots of information on how many have tweaked these for thier installations.

This is a quick write up on how to install our Dual fans. May seem confusing when looking at the unit but is overly easy to install

First remove your factory fan. Be sure to leave the lower bracket installed on the radiator support.

Ok now it is time to modify the fan for a real easy instlal. Simply take a sawzall or a hack saw & trim off the 4 side mounting tabs.

Now we have it modified. Simply install the driver side first into the end tank. Bend the center & snap it into the passenger side. Your fan is now locked it into the end tanks of the radiator. At this point you can just leave it & it would slide down to the bottom & not pop out.
We are going to insall it & mount it to the lower factory mounting tab. We will be using a # 10 x 1" pan head screw. There may be a space between the mounting tab & the fan. You can use a nut as a spacer if this is the situation.

You have now installed a fan on your factory radiator.

On an Aluminum Radiator the install is exactly the same. You may have to file the sides slightly on your fan for this install just due to the expansion rate of aluminum.
You are following the same procedures.

If you have a NON 87 Turbo Buick you may have to use a radiator hold down. the pictures show how this is installed or this is a nice upgrade for a metal hold down.

Please read instructions if you use a Casper's wiring harness kit. Every thing you need will be in the instructions. We suggest Casper's or a Racetronix's kit to prolong the life of your fans. We also sell a simple plug adapter that will use your factory relays. This is OK if you do not drive your car quite often.
You will notice this in the drop down menu of choices.

Our fans show an approximate drop of 15* minimum over factory fans. with our aluminum Radiator & dula fans you shouldn't run above the thermostat rating.

Thank You and as we appreciate your business,
GBodyParts.com