Top Swap Series 1 L67 to 1981 Turbo Engine...

pvan

I recently picked up a project with a 1981 Buick Turbo 3.8L engine mated to a VW manual transmission (it's a kit-car). While the performance is sufficient for the time being, there are things I don't care for from a space and aesthetics standpoint.

As it turns out, I have a friend with a Series 1 L67 engine in a '95 Riviera with a bad block. The heads were pulled and confirmed good, and the supercharger was rebuilt. While I'm nearly completely ignorant about these engines, I'm trying to learn and realize there are several issues that need to be addressed. But I'd like to start with some basics first:

1) Can the top end (and any brackets, pullies, etc. necessary) be swapped onto the turbo block without requiring new bottom end components? If not, do they share the same bolt patterns for mounting to the bellhousing (in case I opt to swap the who engine and get another block)?

2) It looks like I can have the ECU reprogrammed to work with a manual transmission, from what I've seen. Can anyone confirm and also suggest the path of least resistance? Is there a terminator for the auto trans plug?

3) Which sensors and harnesses do I need to pull to keep it happy?

Assuming this swap is not a total nightmare, and that the cost beyond the swap parts I can pull aren't terribly expensive, I would just want to keep this as a stock swap as stock performance of the engine will be at the limit of the transmission. Fuel injection over a carb for drivability would be nice, plus I hear there is a fairly significant difference in fuel economy which would also be nice.

Any help with the above questions or more general information concerning this swap would be appreciated.

Thanks!

That is a no go on series 1 3800 top end on a 3.8. Coolant passages are revised as well as the valve train.