Trans+

Stephen Gibson

Just a participant,Honest
I know I'm beating the horse to death but ,Turbodave had given me explicit instructions on the install of my T+ and I lost the print out and when I opened my bag with unit in it the original instruction to this isn't there either,it's lost and have no clue as to which plug goes to what area .HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
as my stock maf is gone now. Stephen:confused:

Go to ramchargers web page and click on Electronics Manuels&f.a.q.'s page then go to buick translator manuel;)

Thanks I saw that and was searching and had a hard time finding this info but will try again. Stephen

Fast Edddie I clicked on the ramcharger on TB.com and typed Ramchargers.com and can't find any news or Faq section on the site at all I must be dislexic or something ! HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Stephen:confused:

Steve,

It's on the left-hand side column, towards the bottom:

look for RAM NEWS

HTH :)

TRANSLATOR PLUS MANUAL- for Turbo Buick, L67 or LT1

MAF Translator / Translator Plus Description
The MAF Translator (MAFT) and Translator Plus (T+) units are small devices intended to allow the vehicle owner to adjust the fuel delivery and spark advance (T+) of the engine. This is accomplished by intercepting the controlling signals going to and from the PCM (Powertrain Control Module). By modifying these signals the rate of fuel delivery and ammount of spark advance is directly adjusted. These adjustments are not accomplished by indirect means. For example, MAFT and T+ adjust spark advance by modifying the spark control signal (EST) and not manipulating coolant or intake air temperature signals. For this reason, the warmup driveability is not affected.
The user adjustments are inside the unit. With the exception of MAF BASE in a retrofit application, the controls adjust in a logical manner. Zero is the 'no change' position with clockwise rotation increasing spark advance and fuel delivery (richer); and counter-clockwise rotation reduces spark advance and fuel delivery (leaner).

The MODE switch is a 4 position 'DIP' switch used to set the basic application information.

Use a small screwdriver or similar instrument to gently set the switches. The warranty does not cover 'Gorilla Damage'. Note: the switches are only checked once at Key-On.
The MAF BASE adjustment is for selecting the basic airflow characeristics of the MAF sensor in relation to the vehicle/engine configuration. It can be used to compensate for non-stock size injectors, modified or transplanted MAF sensors, or other basic fuel delivery offsets. The adjustment has effect over the entire airflow range.

Switch 1 On=6 cylinders Off=8 cylinders
Switch 2 On=Old style ECM (Turbo V6, TPI V8) Off=New style PCM (LT1,LS1,SC3800,Truck)
Switch 3 On=Output signal limited (blocks DTC Code 102 on OBDII vehicles) Should also be set to ON for GN / retrofit vehicles that are not running extender chips
Switch 4 please leave in the OFF position for all cars except LT1 or LS1 when converting to an UNMODIFIED LS6 sensor only then turn on

MAF Base New Style MAF - Old Style ECM New Style MAF - New Style PCM
0 3.5" LT1/LS1 MAF sensor (Turbo V6) No Change
1 3.5" LT1/LS1 MAF sensor (Turbo V6) (richer at idle) 5% Rich
2 3.5" LT1/LS1 MAF sensor (Turbo V6) (leaner at idle) 10% Rich
3 3" Caprice/Impala MAF sensor (Turbo V6) 15% Rich
4 3" Caprice/Impala MAF sensor (Turbo V6)(richer at idle) 20% Rich
5 3" Caprice/Impala MAF sensor (Turbo V6) (leaner at idle) Not used
6 Not used Not used
7 Not used Not used
8 Not used Not used
9 35% Lean
A Not used 30% Lean
B Not used 25% Lean
C Not used 20% Lean
D Not used 15% Lean
E Not used 10% Lean
F Not used 5%

What is an "MAF Translator"?
The MAF Translator is a device which will allow you to tune your own computer controlled car. top

How can it help me?
The MAF Translator Is a sofisticated stand alone computer that can alter the signal produced by the MAF sensor. This signal is one of the things you cars computer uses to decide if it needs to add or take away fuel. The Translator allows you to take control so that you can make your car richer or leaner where you want. top

What else can it do?
If that is not enough the "Plus" version allows complete control over your cars spark timing where timing can be advanced or retarded up to 14 degrees in either direction. top

How about the Turbo Buick?
If you own a Turbo Buick you know that the OEM MAF sensor is discontinued. Aftermarket rebuilds have proven to be less than reliable and mostly calibrated wrong causing many drivability problems. The Translator Plus or the Buick translator will allow you to install the late model GM MAF sensors onto your car. They are much better than the stock units and you will see nice improvments. top

Can I change MAF sensors on any other cars?
If you have an LS1 the units will allow you to use the bigger ZO6 MAF sensor with no other changes. We are currently working on a fw other applications. top

Do I need special chips or computer programming?
NO! Our units are compatable with almost any chip or programming. If you have a Turbo Buick we do offer a special chip called the "extender" which will allow the range of the MAF to be doubled from 255 gr/sec to 512gr/sec but you do not need it and all features of the translator will work without it. See the Extender manual and FAQ for more info on this exciting product. top

Is it hard to use?
NO, very simple adjustments inside the unit allow control of your cars fuel and spark curves. top

Is it hard to hook up to my car?
NO, the units are mostly plug and play installation taking about 15 minutes. The plus will require that you cut one wire to splice in the spark controller but everything you need for installation is included. top

Do I need anything else?
No, It will work as is. If you have some sort of can tool to monitor your cars computer (like our Scanmaster product) you will have the feed back you need to quickly figure out what changes to make. We recommend something like this to speed up the process but it can be done without it. top

Can the MAF be used on an LS1 Corvette?
The LS1 Corvette uses a 5 wire MAF sensor. The MAFT will work perfectly on this application and many customers are using them. The unit must be hard wired in to the harness however and is not a plug and play installation. If you have questions about the install plans call us ay 888 293 7267 we do not however offer color codes or exact directions since different year cars are different. top

Will the computer learn out the changes made by the MAFT?
Absolutely not. Because of the way these changes are made they are permanent and will not go away.

We are constantly adding to this FAQ if you have a question that is no covered here please check the owners manual wich is also online. If you still don't have the answer call us toll free at 888 293 7267 or send us an e mail to Tech Support

Two Lane and Fast Eddie,Thanks I found it and see you copied it for me ,My question is still which plug with colored wiring goes where and again thanks for other tuning info.:p :D :p
Stephen

TwoLane

I just wanted to slightly edit the setup you show.

In an effort to make it TurboBuick specific, here's what it should actually look like

Old Style ECM New Style MAF
0 3.5" LT1/LS1 MAF sensor (Turbo V6) No Change
1 3.5" LT1/LS1 MAF sensor (Turbo V6) (richer at idle)
2 3.5" LT1/LS1 MAF sensor (Turbo V6) (leaner at idle)
3 3" Caprice/Impala MAF sensor (Turbo V6) No Change
4 3" Caprice/Impala MAF sensor (Turbo V6)(richer at idle)
5 3" Caprice/Impala MAF sensor (Turbo V6) (leaner at idle)
6 Not used
7 Not used
8 Not used
9 Not used
A Not used
B Not used
C Not used
D Not used
E Not used
F Not used

As it is written is quite confusing because it mixes several brands of ECM/PCM, MAF's etc.
As it is written above is specific to Turbo Buicks.