Trans Swap

HEROTIME

IT'S HEROTIME!
I have a 85 Camaro I got to keep the mile on the GN down. The trans is going out on it, I can only get 1st gear now. Can I install a 200-4R trans to replace the 700-4R? I can get a good deal on a used 200-4R and don't want to pay 800 buck to get the 700-4R rebuilt. The Camaro has the 305 engine. Will I need some kind of adapter plate or will the 200-4R bolt right up to the 305 engine?
Thanks
Frank ;)

While the 200-4R will bolt directly to your engine it'd be a whole lot easier leaving a 700-R4 in there. You'd need to get a longer driveshaft to run the 200-4R but that's the easy part.

The problem lies in dealing with your crossmember and torque arm mounting. If you've got an '89 TTA crossmember lying around, go for it. If not, stick with the 700-R4.

This is what I needed to know. I think for the total cost I'll just look at getting the 700-4R fixed. Cost of a 2004-R and torque arm mount will be about the same as a rebuild. I'm not looking to race the Camaro just need it for a daily driver so I don't need anything fancy.
Thanks for the help guys
Frank
:cool:

Fix the 700

It sure sounds like govenor gear stripped. 8.00 repair. Look into this FIRST. It may be just that friggin easy. :D

The trans is going out on it, I can only get 1st gear now.
Oh yeah, Bruce. I overlooked that statement. :p

I agree; could be that either the governor gear is toast or the governor is simply sticking.