Trans Pressures

VIN7

Can someone look over these numbers and comment?

BR valve body with old Kurtz kit, EA TV spring and valves, unknown PR setup.

TV has an instant jump in pressure to about 90 off idle in gear, mid throttle (in a low boost situation) pressure goes to about 150, WOT 205 psi.

Doesn't shift into OD until around 50mph, will cruise all day long in 3rd at 45mph.

20150305_103843.jpg

I couldn't stand not knowing...

.500/.361 boost valves with blue spring about 1.90"

I have a pink spring about 2.00" length

Another question, the sleeve that the smaller boost valve fits in, I have two types one with o-rings and one with machined surface. Any preference?

You must have a pump issue. The stock BR pressure regulator has higher pressures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing I like more than a dex shampoo, especially that one drip that heads straight for your arm pit.

The red numbers are with the same PR valvetrain but used the PINK spring.

Attachments

• 20150305_163353.jpg
    20150305_163353.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 161
Nothing I like more than a dex shampoo, especially that one drip that heads straight for your arm pit.

The red numbers are with the same PR valvetrain but used the PINK spring.
Better but not good enough IMO..250+ @ full TV I prefer 275ish

I noticed that the stock line bias spring was left in the vb with this kit. What affect on pressures would this have? I get an early light throttle 1-2 shift also.

Line bais needs a really strong spring or to be blocked/pinned..this will help the ramp up of pressure when throttle is opened. These cars shifted pretty good with stock internals.

Thanks Steve, I have a stiff spring I can put in but do you think it would bump OD and D pressures over 250psi? Or should I go ahead an add a .555 boost valve and another PR spring while I'm in there?

Line bias needs to be stiff. I can't say what it will do to max pressures as it usually affects pressure rise. You pressures are low so try both or one I takes some playing with parts to get these suckers right.

I think that as above you might have a pump or boost valve leak. Have you tried one of the boost valves with the orings?
Has the pump been inspected and "blueprinted" ? It might not be sealing up well. The slide might need new "rubbers". The vanes, pocket or other half might be worn.
Have you checked your gauge against another to verify its accuracy?

The trans internals and pump are HP units with low miles. I didn't like the shifting characteristics of the non-brf valvebody, that's why I put my original br vb (with Gil Younger/Kurtz shiftkit) in it. I haven't verified the gauge but it is a quality unit I got from PTS. Where are possible pressure loses for 3 and OD? It makes 275psi in 1 and 2, doesn't that verify pump integrity?

This leads me to the boost valve. If it is 275psi in low/2 tje rev boost valve seems to be working. I read a post by Bison about the oring boost valves and that more people would use them if they tested and saw how much the non oring boost valves leaked.

The trans internals and pump are HP units with low miles. I didn't like the shifting characteristics of the non-brf valvebody, that's why I put my original br vb (with Gil Younger/Kurtz shiftkit) in it. I haven't verified the gauge but it is a quality unit I got from PTS. Where are possible pressure loses for 3 and OD? It makes 275psi in 1 and 2, doesn't that verify pump integrity?
What didn't you like about shifting with the vb you were using? What code was the vb? Did you do any mods to the vb plate?!

Those pressure are still low and the pump makes the pressure. Does not matter what size boost valve if the pump is not right I would inspect it carefully. With a .500 boost valve and .300 rev boost I see about 90/260ish and 300 in r/od/d...I rarely use 2/1.

Ok, making some progress.

I replaced the TV boost valve with a Sonnax .500 w/ o-rings; while I was in there I also replaced the line bias spring since the old vb kit used the stock BR spring.

I just looked at od and d, pressure is 250-260 full tv, 1500 rpm. I'll road test tomorrow.

Ok, making some progress.

I replaced the TV boost valve with a Sonnax .500 w/ o-rings; while I was in there I also replaced the line bias spring since the old vb kit used the stock BR spring.

I just looked at od and d, pressure is 250-260 full tv, 1500 rpm. I'll road test tomorrow.
Wow very good improvement.....sonnax boost valves work!