trans is whining makeing grinding noise

moes87gn

i posted a while earlyer but i need some help to get my baby running agian right i have a 87 gn i bought it 4 years ago its mostly stock it has alburn posi B&M shift kit and 3in exhaust and a kenny bell chip 9006 took the car out for mothers day cuz it was very nice and drove around for a mile and now the car makes a crazy nosie from the trans when its in gear not moving it sound like it supercharged then when u drive it goes away the fluid is les than a year old and it has a new tcc in it the week before the car ran perfect and the tcc is good what do ull think about it let me know so i can get this thing fixed right and quick i just put tires on it last weekso i want to use them up let me know thanks for all the help oh yeah and i did change tcc and filter last year and used castrol sny trans fluid yes it shift pertfectly fine

Hi Moe, if your hearing a whinning sound (somewhat like a low power steering fluid sound) only in gear, reverse or drive, dissapating as vehicle speed increases but may reappear at shift points, it may very well be the torque converter, inside there is a torrington bearing that wears and will cause that noise during stall conditions, if so, the torque converter would need to be rebuilt or replaced, good luck.

Kevin.

thanks kevin do u think its still safe to drive to bring it to my shop so i can pull the trans

Same exact thing happened to me once, it turned out to be the stator shaft splines. They were completely worn off. The car will run pretty much normally, but the supercharger whine sound will be there when stopped, dissipates once you get rolling.

The stock stator shaft was not case-hardened, but the aftermarket part is. Those splines are responsible for holding the center pump drive in the torque converter as I understood it.

where would u sugest i get a new one for the car if i change it im going to pull engine and trans out have the engine regasketed and cleaned up put new mounts on it too figure while im going to trear in to this job might as well get things done would it be safe to frive 20 miles to my shop and do it there