Tranny puking fluid - overfilled?

turbojimmy

Supporting Member
At what point of overfill, if any should the tranny begin puking fluid.

When I first put my new converter in and started driving it, it did not appear to be leaking. The trans was making a little bit of noise in R, 1 and 2 so on the advice of some people in the know I put more fluid in it. Before I put more fluid in it, the fluid was about half way up the hashmarks above the "add" line. I put a full quart in it which should have made it slightly over-full. It puked basically all of it out until it was happy with the level. It appears to have stopped. I don't know where it was coming out - looked like everywhere. The pan, crossmember and exhaust system was covered. Looked to be dripping primarily from the right side, but wasn't obvious from where (dipstick tube and lines looked okay). I pulled the cover and it wasn't coming from the front seal.

I got advice to keep it a quart above full with this converter but it does not appear as if the tranny will hold it. Is there something wrong with it?

Thanks,
Jim

Sounds like the vent

Most transmissions have a vent on them (not sure about the 200R4 specifically), and it's usually located right behind the bellhousing on top of the body of the trans. If they are overfilled, or start to overheat, they will puke fluid out of the vent. Sounds like you just had too much fluid. The fluid level should be between the hash marks when it's up to operating temp, any more than that tends to aeriate the fluid, and it will puke out what it doesn't want. :cool:

Thanks for the info.

I just went tooling 'round town and got it good and hot. Pulled back in - everything is dry as a bone. I checked the fluid and it's still quite a bit above full. I must've had a brain fart and forgot how much I had put in it. It's leaked down to a happy level now.

One less leak to worry about.....now to fix the back of the intake.

Jim

Originally posted by turbojimmy
Thanks for the info.

I just went tooling 'round town and got it good and hot. Pulled back in - everything is dry as a bone. I checked the fluid and it's still quite a bit above full. I must've had a brain fart and forgot how much I had put in it. It's leaked down to a happy level now.

One less leak to worry about.....now to fix the back of the intake.

Jim
How high on the dip stick is the fluid level now? Past the bends? Or on what letter on the dip stick? I want to fill mine as high as possible without leaking fluid out.

Thanks,
Guy

Originally posted by BADDGUY6
How high on the dip stick is the fluid level now? Past the bends? Or on what letter on the dip stick? I want to fill mine as high as possible without leaking fluid out.

Thanks,
Guy

It was a few days ago, but if memory serves it's a little bit above the bend after the 'full' mark.

Jim

Well, it's now leaked down into the hash marks on the stick. It's definitely not an "overful" leak. :mad: I'm pretty sure it's the front seal. I've had the converter in and out of it a couple of times without changing that seal - my own fault.

I'll add "front seal" to the to-do list.

Jim