Traction issues

johnplogii

Senior citizen
As the title says I am having a problem getting traction this year. Last year I was running a te44 everything else in sig the same. All stock non boxed control arms w/factory bushings, 50/50 drag shocks & one bag. The car ran consistant 7.20's @ 95 eighth mile with consistant mid 1.50 60 fts, with a best of 1.52. I put the 67 on in nov & only got two passes but one was a 1.56 60ft. All this was on eight year old m/t 26 x 10 x 15 slicks. Over the winter I added a six point cage (80 lbs worth) harnesses (20 lbs) removed 20 lbs, new m/t 28 x 12.50 x 16 et streets (m5 compound wrinkle wall 10 inches wide) tranny w/transbrake, re-stalled the convertor from 0 pump to 6 pump (vigilante). This year my car runs consistant 6.90's & 7.00's with 60fts in the mid to high 1.60's. I have gotten two 1.59's but I have also gotten some 1.70's. I have installed umi solid lowers and umi relocation brackets using the lowest setting. I also bought umi adjustable uppers & just put them on yesterday. haven't been to track yet. Oh yeah, the car also now runs 100-101mph. I feel it has the power to get mid 1.40 60fts I just need some help from the experts on how to get there.

I usually launch the car at 15-20lbs off the t-brake resulting in the 60fts above. From videos it looks like it hooks at first pulling the left tire about 6 inches off the ground, then 5-10 feet out it drops & spins. Any help is appreciated, sorry this was so long

Weight

I just got back from scaling the car & here are the results:
Front 2000 lbs 58%
Rear 1460 lbs 42%
Total 3460 lbs

This was with me in the car and 3/4 tank of fuel.
Anybody out there have the same problem & figure it out?
Any help appreciated.
Thanks

John Plog

Is the car spinning?

What tire pressure are you running?

How wide of wheel?

Traction

Yes the car is spinning. Off the footbrake at 10lb launch it spins hard. Off the transbrake 15-20lb launch it looks like it turns the tires once or twice but lifts the front some but only carries it 5-10 feet then spins more when it comes down.

Tried tire pressures from 9 hot up to 15 cold (16.5 hot) & they work best at 10 psi usually.

16 x 8 gta wheel, tires are called 28 x 12.5 but actual tread width is 10".

ahh haa....i think i know your problem....the 16in rims and running et streets are killing ya.....get some 15in rims with a 9" or 10" slick and i think that will solve alot of your problems

Traction

I tried my old 26 x 10's last friday. 1.64 spinning hard off a 10lb footbrake launch. Only got to try them once because one was way out of balance & vibrated horribly above 90mph. I am going to borrow a set of 28 x 9 x 15 et drags this weekend & see. Last saturday when the track is usually better (summit et event) I was spinning even worse to the tune of some 1.79 & 1.80 60fts. The tires were spinning for at least 75-100 feet. This was off the footbrake.

Turbocody-may I ask why the 16" rims & et streets wouldn't work? I checked all my options when I bought these & decided to get them because they were wrinkle wall & the same compound as 90% of the et drags.

Ditch the antisquat brackets and bolt the arms in the stock holes or if they are drilled for another hole raise it up OR try them both ways and see what works for ya.
What you have described is EXACTLY why I don't like Lift Bars. They plant the tires hard then unload when the suspension settles. When they plant the tires they are raising the rear of the car but this is also pushing the nose of the car down which defeats the purpose of getting weight transfer. This is because the AS brackets move the Instant Center too high and to far back. What you are experienceing is a typical situation.

hth's
ks

Shouldnt be any problem with the 16" rim.But I dont like the ET Streets at all.

I used to leave off the T/Brake with 6-7 lbs of boost running 255-50-16 MT DR's.The car would run 1.50-1.51 60's(6.60-.70 102-103mph) all day long.But I could never get those times with ET Streets.I think my best on the Streets was 1.59-1.60.

Boxed stock lowers,Stock uppers,HR Bar No front sway bar..(Dont need it with the HR Bar).

Get a bigger turbine housing. Slow down that spoolup, and gain a little on the top. Under $200.

60' should be better, and gain some MPH and ET at the other end.

You got a TE67 from John Craig or ?? GT67mm compressor wheel? I had that unit a year ago.

Te67

Yeah, it is a TE67 from limit. The spoolup probably is also part of it. I know when I had the 44 on it and set at 25lbs boost it would only make 18psi in 1st gear so it was like I had a boost controller. But I could launch at over 15psi on the footbrake & it never spun.

Update: Got new hoosier 28 x 10 x 16 slicks last week. 60 foots went from 1.65-1.74 down to 1.54-1.56. They slow down to 1.60 if I launch too hard & I still feel the car should 60 foot better so I am working on getting a tighter convertor in the car. (launches at 42-4500) but the tires made a world of difference.