Track times - thoughts?

CuzzinOlaf

I got to take my car to the track before the e85 conversion and wanted to post up my numbers to hear some thoughts. This was my first time to the track in 20 years and first with my current GN.

The cars setup is exactly what is in my sign. I have Mickey Thompson drag radials that I was running 25psi on (I realize I should have dropped them to 16-20psi now), a full tank of gas with 3 gallons of e85 in the tank, and just leaving the car in drive. I don't have a tach right now and I wasn't sure if most people shift or just throw it in drive. I had Jimmy do my trans with his Stage 3 setup if it matters.

I couldn't launch any harder than 0 psi of boost or the tires would break loose at the line.

60 ft - 1.879
330 - 5.325
1/8 - 8.22 @ 85.2 mph
1000 - 10.71
1/4 - 12.81 @ 107.4 mph

I spent most of my time watching the scan master but think I was boosting somewhere around 18psi with no timing retard on the scanmaster. I'm converting to e85 soon but wanted to get a run with my current setup to see the difference.

for 18 psi on the stock motor I think you did pretty good.thats a pretty soft leave at o psi but if you dropped air pressure down and left with some boost that 60ft would drop big time knocking down the overall et.

Your gonna need more than 18psi for the 49 to make you smile.

Thanks. I was never able to boost that high in the past but the few gallons of e85 changed that (this is why my eyes were glued to the scan master). I ordered my fuel pump and have the injectors and chip already so hopefully the next time I go I'll be flex-fueled. I'm not looking for 10's in the future but my goal is to see 11.49 without putting too much more money into the car. Do you think that is possible on e85 at 25psi and 16lbs in the Mickeys?

with a good 60ft and 25psi you should go mid 11's if the rest of the car is healthy

Can anyone comment on shifting and if would have helped. I don't have a tach yet.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Last edited:
Leave the trans in "D", even while you're slowing down. The 1-2 shift happens too fast to shift it yourself consistently. Unless you've got a big cam and ported heads, you wont see any gains shifting the 2-3 either. I've had my best short times running 20 psi in my 275/60/15 MT DRs on 8" wheels. Make sure your back brakes are adjusted properly. Double pump your brakes at the line. There's a few more tricks you could try (S-10 wheel cylinders, more aggressive brake shoes, pads, flashing the converter) but I'd try the other stuff first. You should be able to get your 60 ft times deep in the 1.7s or 1.6s as long as they do a half ass job of prepping the track. This alone should get you to a 12.50 ET.

Have fun with it. Enjoy nibbling off tenths and fully understanding what did it. Have patience. Your probably closer to a 11 second time slip than you realize.:) Post results.

Mike Barnard