Tracing power feeds?

trbojo

'Stang Stinger
Is the order as follows: battery to starter.. Fuse links to bulk head under brake booster... Bulk head to ignition switch and fuse block for "bat" feeds.. Ignition switch to fuse block for remaining feeds.. Am I missing anything else?

Some battery/fuelink wires goes to fan relays and power master I believe

There's a nice page in the factory service manual for power feeds maybe someone can scan it and post it up for ya.

Fan blower relay, theft deterrent, convenience center all are direct feeds in addition to what Gary posted above.

Not sure exactly what your looking for. Let me know if your looking for something else

Power Distribution 1 Power Distribution.gif Power Distribution 2 Power Distribution 2.gif IgnitionIgnition.gif Starting ChargingStarting Charging.gif

There are five feeders that attach to three fuse links (shared links on two pairs). Of that, only one feeder powers the entire vehicle electrical system minus the engine. The second feeder powers the engine electrical system. Then one feeder runs the coolant fans, one runs the blower fan, and one runs the power brakes and high speed fan system.

Voltage drops will occur at the ignition switch, but most commonly, at the C100 bulkhead that feeds the dash fuse panel.

Best choice is to unscrew the single bolt that holds the bulkhead to the firewall, pull the connector out, and soak it in paint thinner to remove the tar from the terminals. Clean it with a brush, then inspect it thoroughly.

My bet is that you'd find corrosion on some of the terminals. It will look like a white or green powdery substance on the surface. If so, it's generally the cause of your voltage drop. There is no real way to repair this; you need to replace the terminals on both sides of the connector. Then repack it with white lithium grease and re-assemble.

I'm sugar-coating it...this is a PITA project, but it's the only way to really fix the problem.

There are five feeders that attach to three fuse links (shared links on two pairs). Of that, only one feeder powers the entire vehicle electrical system minus the engine. The second feeder powers the engine electrical system. Then one feeder runs the coolant fans, one runs the blower fan, and one runs the power brakes and high speed fan system.

Voltage drops will occur at the ignition switch, but most commonly, at the C100 bulkhead that feeds the dash fuse panel.

Best choice is to unscrew the single bolt that holds the bulkhead to the firewall, pull the connector out, and soak it in paint thinner to remove the tar from the terminals. Clean it with a brush, then inspect it thoroughly.

My bet is that you'd find corrosion on some of the terminals. It will look like a white or green powdery substance on the surface. If so, it's generally the cause of your voltage drop. There is no real way to repair this; you need to replace the terminals on both sides of the connector. Then repack it with white lithium grease and re-assemble.

I'm sugar-coating it...this is a PITA project, but it's the only way to really fix the problem.
Thanks that helps a lot... I started at the starter last night and checked all the fuse links pulled them off and cleaned everything up... Didn't really find anything there... I'm going after C 100 today so you're telling me that only one wire feeds the fuse box and the ignition switch all the power inside the car? The problem is with my alky pump... I had 13.8 volts at the pump connector with the engine running... When I plug the pump in and operate it with the tester it drops to 10 volts... I am powering the alcohol controller with one of the ignition feed spots off of the fuse box....

And I'm guessing the easiest way to get at c100 is to drop the inner fender liner?

It's visible and accessible from under the hood. There are dual connectors on it; one for the body wiring, and the other half is part of the engine harness. You can remove the body wiring half (it clips in) to get at the engine harness half. Pull it out as far as you can, and it should give you enough to work with. Drop it in a metal can, soak it in solvent, and brush the tar off.

Remember, the single fuse link feeds the single 12 gage feeder that feeds thru the bulkhead, to the dash harness, to the ignition switch, back thru the dash harness, back again thru the bulkhead via pink/black wires, then finally to the engine electronics. Multiple connections there, multiple potential high-resistance points. Amazing they lasted as long as they did.

We recently did a production run of engine wiring harnesses, mostly sold to counter odd electrical problems within the engine wiring. The harnesses are wearing out, time vs. temperature gets them.

Mother Nature is having her way with us.

I can see it under the hood but it looks like it'd be a lot easier to drop the inner fender liner I have a vacuum brake conversion...

I'm beginning to wonder if I'm ever going to get this car to run to its full potential.... Seems like also I'm doing is chasing issue after issue....

Yep, if the brake booster is in the way, you would be able to get at it easier with the fender out of the way. Still, you will need to pull it as far away from the firewall as you can, to work on it.

If you find that corrosion, post some images. It will likely only be on the red 12 gage feeders.

Will do.. I'll be getting started in about 15 min... Is it male or female terminals on engine side... At least male will be a little easier to clean up...

Male terminals on the engine harness. But the females go bad at the same time, so it's a project.

I know... If they're that bad I may cut and splice with spade connectors temporarily...

Well.... Can't say I really see any problems here either... Guess I'll clean it up a little use some dielectric grease and move on to the ignition switch...

Attachments

• 1415464614781.jpg
    1415464614781.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 79
  • 1415464633670.jpg
    1415464633670.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 86
  • 1415464647868.jpg
    1415464647868.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 75
  • 1415464661102.jpg
    1415464661102.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 96
  • 1415464683766.jpg
    1415464683766.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 74
  • 1415464694882.jpg
    1415464694882.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 75
Couple more after just cleaning up with some brake clean.....

Attachments

• 1415466163068.jpg
    1415466163068.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 82
  • 1415466172786.jpg
    1415466172786.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 95
  • 1415466182114.jpg
    1415466182114.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 82
How are you testing the pump?

If the pump controller isn't commanded to put out full output you won't see 12 volts at the alky. pump.... ?....

The feed to the controller itself should stay close to battery voltage however.

Commanding full output via tester plugged into map connector and gain set on 8... Trust me... The testing method is not the issue....