TPS adjustment issues

matt94z

So after installing the Scanmaster on my 87 GN we realized the TPS was off. (.44 idle and 3.6x WOT)

We attempted to set my factory sensor and after about 20 tries, realized that one of the ears was cracked off.

I bought a new Autozone sensor and same thing, the highest it would read is 3.6. We hogged out the mounting holes and the most we could get it to is 4.1 while still maintaining the correct idle setting. I tried disconnecting all the cables and opening the throttle blades by hand, no difference. It seems like the blade is opening the entire way. The only thing I didnt do was remove the charge pipe to make sure it was completely opening.

Any ideas?

+1. You'll be amazed how many different settings you can get from the different locations you tighten it down. Keep working with it. Takes some time. Have someone sit in the car and watch the scanmaster as you adjust.

Thats what we did. I had someone adjusting it, that is very familiar with Turbo Buicks... so thats why Im thinking the t-body is wrong or messed up.

You loosened both screws, pulled it all the way FORWARD. Thighten both screws JUST ENOUGH to hold it in place. Loosen one screw a little and lightly tap the forward end of the TPS plug either up or down (very slight amounts) to make changes to the idle setting.

Moving it as far forward as it will go will max out your WOT setting.